6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 1:43 PM by Jamie Cannon

Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files

Jeff.Johnston Rookie

Having had this problem in previous versions of Service Desk, never having it resolved by support and following an upgrade to 7.4 with the problem remaining I turn to the you, the greater popultation for a possible solution.

LSSD Ver: 7.4.0.2459

Background:  We use Unity for our voicemail and when ever someone leaves a voicmail for the service desk Unity emails the service desk mailbox and attaches a wav file.  

Problem: Mailmanager does not read and log an incident for these voicemail messages.  The only way I can get it to read them is to forward the mail to the service desk again.  They are then logged and the wav file attached to the incident.

Solution: Over to you guys n gals.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Normally I would have thought support would have asked you to turn inbound email detailed logging on and look at the results.  If that hasn't been done, I'd do that as a first step and see what the log file says when one of these messages comes in.  If that has been done what is the result?

• 2. Re: Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files
            Jeff.Johnston Rookie

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The error produced is this:  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

When I forward the email with voicemail attachment back to the service desk mailbox and the incident is logged as it should with the wav file attached the resulting application logs are:

• Processing mappings for business class IncidentManagement.Attachment
            • Mapping attachment named VoiceMessage.wav.
            • Succesfully mapped attachment named VoiceMessage.wav.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3. Re: Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

The same log file with the direct email unforwarded would be useful?  It should do much the same in terms of saying its conencting to the mailbox but the bits after would be handy.

To be fair I'd push this issue straight back to your support provider, but I'm sure the community members will try to help as well :-)

Have you applied the 7.4 recommended patches?  Worth doing just in case.

• 4. Re: Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files
                dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

I've some feedback from anonymous of Canberra (he knows how he is!)  Apparently if your incoming email with unity attachments has some data in the description, rather than the default of being empty, then this might enable you to process the emails.  I simply pass this nugget of information on.  You might be able to change the template you have for handling email to have a default title and description and get round it that way if you cannot get the emial from the unity end changed.

• 5. Re: Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files
                  Jeff.Johnston Rookie

Changing the template in Verity was not possible so I logged a call with support.

This issue was confirmed as a problem and a workaround was supplied.

What I had to do was to have the voicemails delivered to a different mail box and then create a new mail mapping leaving out the mapping of the description field.

• 6. Re: Mailmanage not reading attached voicemail wav files
                    Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

I know this an old post, but did you or have you had any issues with the attachment not attaching unless it got forwarded from another mailbox?  I seem to be having that now with a customer.  Ticket creates but fails to attach.  No errors, not failed logs.. not indication of failure so I'm assuming maybe it doesn't know there is an attachment on there.

Thanks,