1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 6:44 AM by zman

Pull from Preferred Server, cache, and peer only

Rookie

LANDesk 9.0 SP2

I looked around and I hadn't seen any ask this question. I am wanting to know if it is possible to somehow modify a delivery method, or something else to make it so when a software distribution package is ran that is will do the normal of calling on a cache, peer, and then preferred server, but fail if it has to pull from the source. Either that or increase the timeout before it attempts to pull from the source. Got some tight MPLSs and so have to be very careful with it. I am also trying to avoid having to stage these on each subnet as I have about 300 or so subnets that I am working with that have nodes on them.

Currently there are a few old static routes that I am in the hands of the networking team to fix that is causing sometimes additional times and it finds the latency to be slightly too long and it fails over to the source. Not all the time, but during heavy traffic hours. They have another large project at hand so I will not be able to get this addressed for some time... and farther out then my Office 2010 project.

Below is a snipin from Data\Sdclient_Task####.log:

Downloading file \\ftmfs01\landeskinstall$\Software\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.msi (z5xNgzTofdLEjl4LZ/YOow==, 6)
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:40:39 Downloading file 2 of 277 from '\\ftmfs01\landeskinstall$\Software\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.msi'
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:40:39 Checking preferred server path \\chifs01\landeskinstall$\Software\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.msi instead of \\ftmfs01\landeskinstall$\Software\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.msi
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:40:45 The file \\ftmfs01\landeskinstall$\Software\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.msi (6 levels) was not in the TMC cache.
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:40:45 ILdDownloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\landeskinstall$\Software\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010\Access.en-us\Access.en-us\AccessMUI.msi, attempt 0
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:40:47 Performing TCP connection with a timeout of -1 milliseconds
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:41:38 ILdDownloadFile returned 0
      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:41:38

I have other machines that sit on subnets specified to this preferred server and they use them with great success. I currently have 4 sites that are having these problems. Sometimes it does pull and sometimes it doesn't.

Also another thought. I have not explored it yet as our FS does not have IIS on them, but I see some use HTTP because of similar problems. Can someone give me a slight summary of the benefits that HTTP is offering over UNC?

Thanks for any response to this guys,

Josh

• 1. Re: Pull from Preferred Server, cache, and peer only
          zman Master

Do you have any of the MCPs installed? HTTP, does give you checkpoint restart and some other benefits in regards to permission shares in multi domain environments. It really depends on how your architecture is setup.

Are you using ip address ranges in your LDMS Preferred Server configurations? If you have DFS implemented it may help, but I'm guessing you don't have DFS implemented.

9.0 implemented some finer tweaks to bandwidth options for the software distribution under delivery methods. I'm wondering if you tweaked the bandwidth options to have it fail on the slower links if it would help.