3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 3:12 PM by THogland

Repeated database exceptions

THogland Apprentice

Since our upgrade from 8.8 sp4 to 9.0 sp2 on 8/1/2011, I've been getting more and more database exceptions. (Right now about 75% of all scans fail, maybe more.) Errors in the app log as follows:

Event Type:    Error
      Event Source:    LANDesk Inventory Server
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    4100
      Date:        8/1/2011
      Time:        11:34:23 AM
      User:        N/A
      Computer:    DNRATW-LD01
      Database exception: SCA20E.SCN, LDInv.dll

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.  Update Table:TCP Column:ADDRESS PK:, Thread ID: 5512.

(I also have a discussion in the Database section about this installation hammering Oracle - http://community.landesk.com/support/message/67323#67323 - which may be related.)

I've dug through here, deleted unmodeled data/ran coredbutil, reregistered ldinv.dll, to no avail. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or give me a good place to look for the cause of the problem? Every error is followed by a "successfully connected to the database" message. No other errors in there related to this that I can see...

System is Windows Server 2003 32-bit, Oracle 11gR2 database. Small setup - ~1000 devices, a dozen analysts.

• 1. Re: Repeated database exceptions

This kind of error typically indicates there is some database corruption.  Typically I have seen this indicate that even though the definition for an attribute came across in the upgrade, the table or column did not get actually get created.  If you run this SQL statement it will give you an idea if you have this problem:

select * from METAATTRIBUTES where ATTRNAME not in (select name from syscolumns)

This will show you attributes that do not exist.  If you have some, depending on what they are, you may want to just delete them from the database.  Then rerun coredbutil to make sure all the default attributes still exist.

• 2. Re: Repeated database exceptions
            THogland Apprentice

What does "depending on what they are" mean?  TCP.ADDRESS sounds kinda important, but if something is corrupt, is there a better way to fix things, or is the quickest/simplest/fastest to shut down inventory, delete the values and let coredbutil recreate them?

• 3. Re: Repeated database exceptions
              THogland Apprentice

I forwarded this to the Oracle DBA, and got this response:

I cannot run the SQL as it stands.   They need to rewrite it with the schema owner as LANDESK.  I have attempted to do so and I get the following errors.

select * from LANDESK.METAATTRIBUTES where ATTRNAME not in

(select name from LANDESK.syscolumns);

(select name from LANDESK.syscolumns)

ERROR at line 2:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Any thoughts on how to ask this in Oracle-speak?

I've also opened an "official" case on this...