3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 1:12 AM by TrogaTrading

Rebuilding our Core Server

Rookie

I am getting ready to rebuild our core server next week. I am wondering if anybody has any good tips for doing this. The reason I am doing this, is right now our entire Management Suite is installed on one server and I am going to break it out amoung 2 servers like is recommended. We are trying to improve our imaging speed as well as the actual Management application. I know I will need to rebuild an agent to install on the new computers, but is there a way to take control of the existing agents installed and have them show up in the new management console without having to redeploy?

We are currently running 9.2

We are going to be going from a Single Server to a multiple server for the 5,000 to 8,000 devices. We are going to be installing these on 2 vm servers that will be on the same host. The host itself has a 10 gig nic with 32gigs of ram. These will probably be the only to machines on this host.

Multi-server configuration (5,000-8,000 devices)
      If your Management Suite management domain consists of 5,000-8,000 devices, LANDesk recommends that
      you divide your Management Suite components between two servers for improved database performance.
      Your servers should at least meet the following system requirements before you install Management Suite.
      Management Suite Core Server and Web console software on one server
      Quad (four physical processors) Intel Xeon Quad Core 64-bit processors
      Important: If using a 32-bit Windows Server Operating System with SQL 2005 Enterprise or SQL
      2008, AWE (Addressing Windowing Extensions) must be enabled.
      4 GB or more of RAM
      Important: The Management Suite Core Server in this configuration requires two drive arrays on
      separate spindles.
      Two arrays of 72 GB of free disk space per array on 15K RPM or faster drives
      The Operating System array should be RAID 1 or an equivalent / faster technology
      Management Suite software should be installed to an array in RAID 0, 1, 5, or 10 or an
      equivalent / faster technology
      One gigabit network adapter (the Core and Database should have a gigabit connection to each other)
      Core database on a second server
      64bit Operating System is recommended for the Database server for the memory management
      Dual (two physical processors) Intel Xeon Quad Core 64-bit processors
      6 GB to 12 GB or RAM (1 GB for the OS, plus 1 – 2 MB per node.)
      Important: RAM requirement vary. Multiply the total devices this Core Server will be managing by 2
      MB to get a better estimate. For example, 8,000 devices require 9-16GB of RAM.
      SQL 2005 or 2008 Enterprise, or Oracle 10g or 11g
      Three arrays of 72 GB of free disk space per array on 15K RPM or faster drives
      The Operating System array should be RAID 1 or an equivalent / faster technology
      One array for the database, RAID 0, RAID 5, RAID 10 or an equivalent / faster technology
      One array for the database logs, RAID 0,1, 5 or an equivalent / faster technology
      Important: The database server in this configuration requires three drive arrays on separate spindles.
      One gigabit network adapter (the Core and Database should have a gigabit connection to each other)