4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 11:37 PM by aparker

Presenting Survey to EndUsers

Rookie

Hey all I hope you can bear with me with what I expect is probably pretty simple. Its just that I really haven't had to do any design work since we did our implementation and I'm really rusty. What I'm looking to do is to have a link for our end-users to click on their self service portal that gives them a simple window with a few blanks on it that they can fill out and then save and close.

What i've attempted is to create a new business object called usersurvey under the default 'Request managment' folder. To be clear this BO is completely unrelated to everything else doesn't tie to any incidents/requests/processes. And then gave it a couple attributes like answer1, answer2, answerN(all strings), creationdate, and then linked it to user, for creation user.

Then I created a window under that BO in window manager with the attributes placed etc. chose the 'make available in web access' and saved it all. This is where i get stuck I can't figgure out how to make this available to the end-users so that they can fill it out. I saw some posts about creating a shortcut to a workspace, specifying the module and BO, and then process. But its currenltly not tied to a proces. I also saw another post related to tying a process to a BO/Window by dragging the process onto the BO, but that doesn't seem to work for me either.

As I mentioned above all I'm trying to do is allow users to fill out a a few strings on a form, populating those atributes in the database so that we can write some queries around them it doesn't need to be part of a process as it would pretty much be Open > Fill Form > Close. I'm sure this is simple and I appreciate any help I can get. Or if I'm going about this competly wrong i am open to other approaches as well. Also if there is any other info I can provide to make this more clear please let me know.

• 1. Re: Presenting Survey to EndUsers
          aparker Employee

Hi,

It sounds like you have done most things correct so far, but the bit your missing is that you need to make the access to this business object part of the process. This will make a collection on the process and also, more importantly, allow you to create an action of 'Complete Survey' for example. Once you have this, you can create an email that is sent automatically from the process at the correct time which has a link in it to take the end user straight to the survey completion form.

This is an example of one that I have in the Incident domain. It takes the end user to the process and presents them with the Complete Survey action.

<a href="http://ldsd-demo/webaccess/wd/object/open.rails?class_name=IncidentManagement.Incident&key={Guid}">Click here to complete the survey.</a>

Hope that helps.

Andy

• 2. Re: Presenting Survey to EndUsers
            Rookie

Hey Andy thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear I'm kinda on the right track. I too thought that I may need to create some sort of simple process like Open>Submit Survey>Close. So I created a new process under Request Management > Request > Submit Survey. Now if I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like i need to get back to object designer and then drag my business object onto a Process Managment > Process > Request > Submit Survey business object? I'm looked at doing that but even though i have the new process saved my tree only goes down to Process Managment > Process > Request. I may also be misunderstanding how to do what your explaining. Thanks again for trying to help.

Also I'm sure that you were just listing the email thing as an example but to be clear this is a totally user-driven process. They will just click on a link in their self-service portal whenever they feel like filling out the form, no need for process driven emails etc.

• 3. Re: Presenting Survey to EndUsers
              Rookie

Ok so quick update I've managed to get this working by havning it be part of the process i've previously described. The process is open(status) >submit(action)>close(status). Even this is more complicated than I require after the fields on the window are filled out and a user clicks save and close that should esssetially be it I don't want someone to have to go in and hit the submit button afterwards, nor do i need to have more than one status. I tried to make the one action automatic but it wouldn't accept it because of the no change from one status to another without interaction. Ultimately I would like to do away with the multiple statuses alltogheter or a way to automatically traverse to closed would work as well.

• 4. Re: Presenting Survey to EndUsers
                aparker Employee

Hi,

Post some screen shots of the processes you're working with and the survey form and let's see if we can get this closer to what you want. I suspect from what you have said in your last post, you may have mis-understood my design ideas.

Thanks

Andy