8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2008 10:10 AM by Enigma

simple database schema map?

Rookie

Anyone have a database schema map for the inventory data? I could have sworn I had one years ago but I can't find any info on here anywhere. Not a complete schema diagram like you can make in SQL, I mean just a spreedsheet or something mapping the inventory common display names to the actual field names. Mostly this is used for creating reports via Crystal, ease of viewing data via MSAccess, etc.

Basically I neede a cleaned-up spreadsheet version of the datamart.xml I guess. Anyone have something like this or am I going to have to make one from scratch?

• 1. Re: simple database schema map?
          Apprentice

Here is a schema in Visio from 8.6.  We're running 8.7 so it doesn't match perfectly, but it has been helpful.

• 3. Re: simple database schema map?
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Ah - Zman came ahead of me. That's exactly the sort of reason why I wrote the doc in the first place.

Hope you'll find it suitable to your needs.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: simple database schema map?
              zman Master

LOL - Just trying to lighten the load on you guys.

• 5. Re: simple database schema map?
                Rookie

well, like I said....

Enigma wrote:

...Not a complete schema diagram like you can make in SQL, I mean just a spreedsheet or something mapping the inventory common display names to the actual field names. ...

I already have that made of course. But that's way too large and too complex to use for simply looking for fields to report on. Plus what I'm thinking of is generally used for users creating Crystal reports, etc.

Something like this in a spreadsheet format:

TABLE

Column/Field

Common Name

Computer

DeviceId

Device ID

Computer

DeviceName

Device Name

Computer

LastUpdInvSvr

Last Updated by Inventory Server

I may just have to whip something up and be the hero for a change instead of the mooch.;) I figure a VB or AutoIt script to parse sections of DATAMART.XML into a CSV format will do nicely.

• 6. Re: simple database schema map?
                  leffrt SupportEmployee

Well once you "whip" that up share it. :P

• 7. Re: simple database schema map?
                    zman Master

Use Autoit it has numerous UDFs and functions for XML files.

!!!! Try Excel 2007 !!!!!

Just for S&Gs I opened up the file in 2007 and it created a rough schema and it does not look that bad for a little bit of work.  I would upload the file but it is somewhat large.

Enigma = Owe me a coke.

• 8. Re: simple database schema map?
                      Rookie

WELL... I just opened the datamart.xml in Excel and guess what.. It created a full schema header from the XML structure complete with dropdown field selections!

I'll just use this and pretty up/trim the columns and post that for everyone to use. Sure I could create a full AutoIt GUI that would parse the datamart.xml and let you pick the columns you want and then export to a cvs or xls. But who wants to waste all that time making something that fancy; it's not like you're making this once a week.

Excel does a great job on the datamart.xml! I think I'll create a doc discussion and post my custom map plus the process for others. A datamart.xml-based spreadsheet is WAY more useable than that crazy SQL server map. Surprised no one has posted this before.

zman wrote:

Use Autoit it has numerous UDFs and functions for XML files.

!!!! Try Excel 2007 !!!!!

Edit: Okay Mr. EditMyPostSoILooksTEHSmarts! Don't make me drive over there to Baltimore and poke you.