8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 2:55 AM by Terry_Courtney

Icons dis-appearing from desktops

Apprentice

Hi all,

Firstly can I just say that I am FULLY aware that LANDesk Management Suite is not responsable for this problem. But I have been pressed into posting here to prove to management that it definatley is not.

The problem is this:

I deployed a shortcut to users desktops via policy distribution for a new system which users within our department are using.

The shortcut arrived without issue and users have been happily using the system. A few hours later the icon disappeared for a couple of our users.

Naturally the users are blaming Management Suite for having caused the issue. :/

Again I am aware that Management Suite is not the cause of this problem. So all I am asking is to either put my mind at ease or give me a reason why I coulld be wrong and this could have happened

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Terry

• 1. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
          Apprentice

The forum silence is all the ammunition I need, point proved

Thank you!

• 2. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
            Apprentice

Im pretty sure your right it's not a landesk issue, Im interested as to why it dissapears in the first place though.  My best guess based on what information you have provided would push me to look at my domain policy for the desktops. Maybe desktop cleanup for what "Windows" considers unused icons.  When you say the icon dissapears I'm presuming you mean during a windows session it just dissapears & not when a user logs off and back on it's gone?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
              Apprentice

Hi John,

Firstly thanks for your reply

It is also good to hear that someone else believes its not Management Suite, I know our system inside out and find it frustrating when it gets blamed everytime something weird happens!!

There has been an investigation into the issue and group policy was explored, with no results. In fact the irony now is that the icon is being distributed via group policy now, because pointy fingers are pointing at my Management Suite!

However it appears that this issue only occured on those machines with IE7 or later installed and there was a problem with the security certificate that our developers had built into the application. The issue occured when a user double clicks the shortcut to open the web page application for the first time, by the time they had closed the browser window the icon had gone! This is without logging in or out of Windows!

Now that the development team have sorted out their certificate, the problem appears to have stopped.

This is now the main cause of suspicion now and Management Suite has been forgiven and apologised to!!!

There must be a way of getting across to staff that Management Suite isnt some evil troll that sits in the server room feeding on desktop icons and causing PC problems.

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Someone once said that 'there is no such thing as is bad publicity'. I sometimes wonder with LANDesk though.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

• 5. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
                  zman Master

It would help us to know more about your environment? What Desktop OS/SP and version/SP of LANDesk? How are you deploying the shortcuts, are you using ALLusers or simply deploying them in their profile folders, are you usig roaming profiles? If Windows 7 and the icons are "deemed" by Windows 7 to be broken or unused a task sequence to delete unused broken icons will remove them. I've seen this when the shortcut is pointing to a NAS/Network share. http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/which-files-does-w7-system-maintenance-delete/  If XP it could be the Desktop Cleanup App.

• 6. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
                    Apprentice

Hi Zman!

Our primary OS is WIndows XP SP3 with a smattering of Win7 devices being used for application testing.

We use LANDesk Management Suite 9.0 SP2 and LANDesk Service Desk 7.4.2

5,400 devices split over 180 sites

I am deploying the shortcuts using Link Manager to a select group of machines which need access, I have now switched to deploying the rest when needed using a batch file distribution using a PSP method, the reason for doing this is to catch the problem happening again while I am using a different method to go "Aha! not LANDesk!" When it happens. However I doubt this will happen again, as the developer team have already identified a problem with IE7 and their certificates, which now appears to have solved the problem and it is not occuring anymore.

As for roaming profiles, we have a mixture of roaming and non roaming (If it were up to me it would be folder re-direction.... But I wont go there...) The problem occurs on both types of profile.

While the shortcut points to an intranet page application with a SQL backend, the whole system resides on a NetApp NAS array (In fact everything on our network is, apart from the LANDesk servers..)

Desktop cleanup I believe is off with group policy, but this is not something I had considered. I will mention it to our dev team thanks!

Oh and yes I am deploying to all users desktop

• 7. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
                      zman Master

I'm wondering if the few machines have a corrupt icon cache. Try deleting the icon cache and see if the problems goes away.

Win7

1. Click Start, and open Computer.
                      2. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.
                      3. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.
                      4. Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Iconcache.db

5. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.
                      6. Close the window, and restart the computer.

Also have tried refreshing the desktop (F5)

• 8. Re: Icons dis-appearing from desktops
                        Apprentice

Thanks Zman, much appreciated response!

I will be putting that one into my "tricks up ones sleeve" stack if it happens again.

Still no instances of this happening since our dev team sorted the certificate problem out (Egg on faces??)

Thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread with very useful information!