4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 4:54 PM by Spartan

Nightly maintenance on client machines

Spartan Apprentice

Good Day,

We have a few labs that consist of netbooks (who are on the slow side); Therefore we would like to avoid running additional tasks on them during the day.

The goal is to have the machines wake up at night to perform maintenance tasks and then shutdown.

These tasks would include Inventory Scan, Policy.sync, Vulscan and other tasks that normally run during the day.

Is the best practice to have these scheduled and run by the core or should I use the local scheduler? (looking for a the most liable method)

Personally I’m leaning towards the local scheduler (Just seems a little easier to troubleshoot)

If run using the scheduler I would be tempted to put these in a batch file but I’m not sure how to determine when some of the tasks such as the Policy.sync have completed.

I thought I had seen information about this here before but I can’t seem to find it.  =o(

If somebody could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Nightly maintenance on client machines
          LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

Another option you have is to create a different agent for those netbooks and change the inventory, vulscan, policy sync schedule to the desired times.

• 2. Re: Nightly maintenance on client machines
            Spartan Apprentice

Yeah I thought about that since I'm going to have to make a new Agent configuration to take out activities during the day anyways.

But I’m trying to make the task a little more ridged to avoid problems in the event of large software deployments or patches.

Sine these machines are “sucktastic” also trying to avoid having these machine perform more than one task at a time.

The initial thought was to have the machines:

-Wakeup at 1am (give them time to boot)

-1:05 Run the Inventory scan

-1:10 run policy sync

-1:15 run vulscan

-1:20 run other tasks such as purgefile and clientdbutil

Then have the machines shutdown when they become inactive for 10 mins due to a Power Management policy

I’m assuming a download from a policy or patch manager would constitute as activity.

But I get the felling I’m asking for trouble doing it this way.

Which is why I thought it would be best to use some kind of script that runs the tasks one after the other then powers down.

• 3. Re: Nightly maintenance on client machines
              zman Master

Local Scheduled tasks would be my first choice, just my preference. As to the batch file you could easily run the commands with Start /wait.

• 4. Re: Nightly maintenance on client machines
                Spartan Apprentice

Not sure why I didn't think of that when I posted...   =o)

Thanks Zman!

Here is what I came up with, am I missing something here?

@echo off
                echo -= Validate DB schema =- 
                Start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\clientdbutil.exe" /VALIDATE
                Start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\purgefile.exe" $(TMCCacheDir)\preferredservers.STSITVS-LDCORE1.dat 0
                echo -= Running Inventory Scan =-
                Start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\LDIScn32.EXE" /NTT=<LANDeskCore>:5007 /S=STSITVS-LDCORE1  /I=HTTP://<LANDeskCore>/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI
                echo -= Running Policy Sync =-
                Start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\policy.sync.exe"
                echo -= Running Vulscan =-
                Start "" /wait "%ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\vulScan.exe"
                echo -= Powering down =-
                %WinDir%\system32\poweroff.exe 120

Thanks again