4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 11:02 AM by phoffmann

Offsite PXE representative

Morning All,

I am having a problem at the moment with an offsite PXE server. The core server is stored up in our Head Office, with another down in a remote location that has a trust between our domain and theirs. Currently it has been set up to respond to PXE commands, we can get a PXE boot menu and go into the capture/deploy screen for LANDESK, proving that it is working to this point.

Whilst trying to deploy an image it will state that "Failed to get host local IP address or resolve core server name. Please check your network and try again". From the remote location we can ping our core server by IP or name. Has anyone come acros this problem before?

• 1. Re: Offsite PXE representative

Also on another note, how can I find out in LANDesk PXE Representatives?

• 2. Re: Offsite PXE representative
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Couple of questions here.

1 - What OS do you use in your PXE boots? WinPE? Linux? DOS?

This makes big differences. DOS for instance is VERY touchy to name resolutions and usually utilises WINS ... so you usually need to hack the image-files and enter the details into HOSTS / LMHOSTS files.

If you use WINPE, things are different again - and the same with Linux. So ... it depends :).

2 - The problem is usually simply one of network-name resolution ... I would suspect that you're not using WinPE (DOS is usually the most flakey in this regard) - but to help you further, I would really need more information here on what and how you're trying to do things.

This is stuff we've encountered a lot, and it's usually reasonably easy to fix :).

3 - I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask with your question from the second post.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 3. Re: Offsite PXE representative

One thing I have had to do, to make my pxe reps work more smoothly, is to add an lmhosts file to the bootmenu.1 and dosundi.1 files. or rather, add entries to them.

You can download Winimage, then edit the files from your
              rsysld1\ldmain\landesk\files\ directory

Add entries for your core server, pxe rep, imaging server, etc. Re-deploy the pxe rep. (or if you're lazy like me, you can edit the pxe rep directly at

c:\program files\landesk\pxe\System\images\x86pc\undi\bootmenu\bootmenu.1

c:\program files\landesk\pxe\System\images\x86pc\undi\dosundi\dosundi.1

• 4. Re: Offsite PXE representative
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

The suggestions are correct - assuming DOS is used as the PE-environment (which is most likely to be the case). There's a few other things too that'll help DOS along the way, but first we need a confirmation whether or not DOS is the PE-OS in use or not :).

Assumption is an unfortunately dangerous thing in our line of work :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.