2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 3:42 PM by bnelson

LANDesk imaging in a constantly changing environment

Rookie

We are implementing LANDesk in an environment that has PCs being re imaged weekly, sometimes Daily with different imaged depending on our clients requirements.

In trying to make this as easy and seemless as possible, and as managable for remote administrators,  I am wondering if anyone can answer these questions for me.  Please excuse if I sound like a beginner,,,, I am

1. in other desktop management products in the past I was able to have a situation where PCs always booted to PXE first and "checked" the server for whether there was work to be done (eg an imaging task) and if there was no task boot into Windows normally.   Is this possible with LANDesk?
      2. our machines will constantly be imaged with different Windows OS etc depending on our requirements for that day, will LANDesk always know that PC "A" is the same PC it was yesterday with a different image??
      3. If PCs are moved from room to room (VLAN to VLAN or Subnet to Subnet)  is there a way to "group" the machines in a group based on their current IP automagically?

Might seem strange I guess but its the environment we are in... Currently we do a lot with Ghost and other products and manually manage but are hoping for more from LD.

Cheers all, hope you can help.

• 1. Re: LANDesk imaging in a constantly changing environment
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Some answers for you:

1. in other desktop management products in the past I was able to have a situation where PCs always booted to PXE first and "checked" the server for whether there was work to be done (eg an imaging task) and if there was no task boot into Windows normally.   Is this possible with LANDesk
            1. Yes. If you configured them to go to PXE first, then LANDesk has the concept of a Managed PXE boot. You can set systems to boot and hold in the PXE queue until you send them a task, or (as is probably better for you), if something OSD has been sent to them they will process the queued task
          2. our machines will constantly be imaged with different Windows OS etc depending on our requirements for that day, will LANDesk always know that PC "A" is the same PC it was yesterday with a different image??
            1. The answer should be yes providing you are using it correctly. LANDesk can re-apply the LANDesk device ID (unique identifier) so that it is always the same machine in the database
          3. If PCs are moved from room to room (VLAN to VLAN or Subnet to Subnet)  is there a way to "group" the machines in a group based on their current IP automagically?
            1. This would be through the use of Inventory Queries based on the ip address range or the default gateway so that membership is automatically updated
            2. You will need to make sure your agent configurations are set to send a scan on IP address change to get this as responsive as possible

Everything you've asked for is possible to achieve. You might need a bit of time and practice to get it running smoothly as with all things, but I've got this type of usage model running plenty of times in the past.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://www.marxtar.com

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- Inventory Archiving/Change & Root Cause Analysis

- Self-Service Password Reset

- PC Power Management

- Help/Service Desk Integration

- LANDesk Data Manipulation/Integration/Bar Coding

- LANDesk Executive Reporting Pack

- Network Asset Discovery and Management

- LANDesk Software Store

• 2. Re: LANDesk imaging in a constantly changing environment
            bnelson Employee

For questions 1 and 2 the short answers are yes. There isn't a lot in the way of getting that to function properly with ease.

Question 3 presents challenges. While you can auto populate the queries by IP address to ensure the device lands in the correct group at any given time, the problem is that the devices will still be in the scheduled task from the previous day. The way that the scheduler works is that it will run the queries once an hour to populate the scheduled tasks according the the query criteria. Until the device has switched subnets and updated its inventory it will remain in the imaging task from the previous query. This will mean that you can get this done, but it will require some manual intervention. if you were wanting this to be all automated you will run into some issues.