1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2008 4:23 PM by JSMCPN

OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record

JSMCPN Expert

This is on LANDesk 8.8 - We've started noticing that sometimes when PXE booting a computer that has never been inventoried into LANDesk, that OSD fails.  The logfile shows     ; "Job Complete","0 Done","0 Failed","1 Off","0 Unknown"

It cannot find the device and fails immediately.  If I view the ALL DEVICES list, I see TWO records for the MAC address in question, one has an IP address and serial number, the other has neither.  If I delete the device which has missing IP and serial number from the database and start the OSD task again, it works fine.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,

Jesse

• 1. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
          Expert

Hmmm. A tough one here... Assuming that no one has used CSVimport to create them, I can only think of one way they could be genereated, some kind of bad or interupted Miniscan... Is there anything in the Alert History or Errorscan that relates?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
            JSMCPN Expert

Rick, you're on the right track with Inventory.  I also discovered that when reimaging an existing Client via scheduled task, that a second Device ID is being generated after the reimaged machine gets the Agent installed.  We reimaged 60 machines in the past 2 days, and 60 duplicate computers were added to the database.

Thanks,

Jesse

• 3. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
              Expert

There are a couple of ways to handle that, first get the agent out of your image or get rid of the device ID's in the registry before you create the image, 2nd turn on the Reject Duplicate Device IDs in the Advanced Inventory settings tab for duplicates.

• 4. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                JSMCPN Expert

There is no Agent in the image, nor leftover IDs in CommonAPI registry.  We've been using the same disk image for almost 3 years now.

Reject Duplicate Device IDs is also enabled and always has been.

• 5. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                  Expert

Interesting...

Is this an 8.8 OSD script or something you brought over from 8.7? Do you have these lines in your OSD script?

REMEXEC31=cmd /c copy /y X:\LDClient\guid.pds C:\LDISCAN.CFG

REMEXEC32=tokreplw C:\LDISCAN.CFG DEVICEID=%Computer - Device ID%

• 6. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                    JSMCPN Expert

Yessir, those two lines are in the OSD script (started life as an 8.7 script, and works fine in 8.8)

REMEXEC31=cmd /c copy /y X:\LDClient\guid.pds C:\LDISCAN.CFG

REMEXEC32=tokreplw C:\LDISCAN.CFG DEVICEID=%Computer - Device ID%

• 7. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                      Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

You need to test if the ldiscan.cfg file is even working.

You do not need to do a full image to test this.  It can be tested more quickly like this:

1. Take a machine that has the agent and uninstall the agent.

The registry keys for the Common API are still there.

The agent inventory is still on the Core Server.

2. Do NOT delete the agent in inventory.

3. Delete the Common API registry keys.

4. Create a file called this:

c:\ldiscan.cfg

5. Add these two lines to the file:

Device ID = {copy and past your device id here from the inventory}
                      Last Deployed OS Image = place anything here as we are not really doing an image

For example if the previous device ID (found in inventory) is this: {6CFAC451-167D-11DB-8720-000A95695112} the the file should look like this:

Device ID = {6CFAC451-167D-11DB-8720-000A95695112}
                      Last Deployed OS Image = \\Server\Share\XPBaseImage.img

6. Install the agent.

It should use the same Device ID and NOT be a duplicate.  However, in 8.7 flat, the ldiscan.cfg file was not working and they fixed that in the first Service Pack.  Maybe they broke it again in 8.8.

• 8. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record

Oh...also, you may have a vendor partition as partition 1 and the system partition is partition 2.

By default we use copy this file to partition 1.  But that wouldn't work if you are using partition 2.  That is why we have an option in the OS Deployment script GUI to choose which partition would be the C: or System partition.

• 9. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                          JSMCPN Expert

We use only a single partition disk image FWIW.

So I tried removing LANDesk Agent and the UniqueID from both Common API registry keys, then reinstalled the Agent and DO NOT get a duplicate inventory record. Now the current UniqueID is the same as the one pasted into LDISCAN.CFG

Also keep in mind that this problem seems to begin with a MINISCAN insertion to the LD database. As soon as I PXE boot a (previously unmanaged) computer into WinPE, two inventory records are created, one with the current IP address and one with an IP address of 000.000.000.000

• 10. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                            Expert

Ok so I think there are two issues here the one where there are two miniscans with the same mac address but different IP addresses

I dont have a good answer for this one... Might need to check in with LANDesk Support on it. I do not see this in my OSD tests...

Then the one where there is a duplicate record is inserted when a managed client is re-imaged, I am assuming that the new record has a unique ID so the old ones will become obsolete and need to be deleted. This could be working as designed if you have the reject duplicate device IDs set up and the attirbutes you have defined are matching then fefault behavior would be to create a new record with a new Device ID

• 11. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record

Ok...so here is what I want you to do.

In the LDVPE1.IMG (or it is called PEboot.img once it is on the PXE Rep) there is a StartNet.cmd file.

We used to have a race condition where the miniscan occurs while there is no IP address, but the IP address is obtained after it scans for IP but before it tries to use the network to send the scan.

We created a Wait4Ip.exe to resolve this.  I have seen a few instances where the wait4ip.exe is not enough and the race condition still occurs.

Open the StartNet.cmd and add this line after where it calls Wait4ip.exe

x:\ldclient\ldsleep 5

This will cause the StartNet.bat to wait 5 seconds before continuing one, thus eliminating the race condition and you should never have two scans with different IP addresses after this.

Let me know.

• 12. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                                JSMCPN Expert

OK, I added a LDSLEEP 5 after Wait4IP and re-deployed the PXE rep, PXE booted a new computer and there are still two inventory records created:

• 13. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record

Turn on Store scans.

Configure | Services | Inventory | Advanced

Set Store Scans to 1.

Restart inventory services (you should get a prompt to do this).

Then in the managementsuite\ldscan\storage directory all the scans will be stored.

Run the PXE boot again and grab all the scans that are sent from that machine (Search for files containing the MAC address as you will have all the other scans in there too).

Get those files and zip them and post them.

Also, what version of miniscan.exe is running in WinPE?

Really this should not be happening and not a lot of other people are seeing it so it could be related to you hardware or maybe even the PXE Rep.

• 14. Re: OSD fails due to duplicate inventory record
                                    JSMCPN Expert

Ok, attached are the IMS scan files. Sixteen IMS files were created the very instant that the PC found a LANDesk PXE representative.

Once WinPE finished loading, one more IMS file titled ISMCD31.IMS was created. #31 contained the proper IP address, the others had 0.0.0.0

I looked at each of the first sixteen IMS files, and noticed that there are basically four sets of quadruplicate data. Each group of four IMS files contains identical information, notably the "Proxy Host Name" value. We have four PXE representatives on this subnet and it looks like each one sent back four IMS files.

Strangely, this time there was only ONE inventory record created, and it has the correct IP address.

MINISCAN.EXE in our LDVPE1.IMG file is version 9.0.0.1

I have a hard time believing this is our hardware or PXE reps, because it's the same hardware we've been reimaging for 2-3 years, and this problem just cropped up in the middle of the day a while ago, and no changes were made to the PXE reps.

1 2 Previous Next