1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 3:11 AM by karenpeacock

Service Desk required process if Possible

Apprentice

We are a large school and we are in the middle of preparing Service Desk to manage our Laptop Repairs for Students, our current process is to book a laptop in and assign in a slot number which corresponds to a physical location within the IT deparment, there are 76 slots and every laptop booked in is assigned a location in the slot.  What I would like to do and I have done some stuff already is be able to book in the Laptop and assign it  a slot number from a pool, which when the laptop is completed and we had back it is a unassigned from the slot.  At the moment I have created and ordered list and made a drop down on the Window to manually select the slot Ideally it would be good if when you select a slot an it is assigned to the laptop that it disappears from the list, at the moment you could assign multiple things to one slot number.

Please assist in the part of the process or point me in a direction that could assist.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

This is a bit of a manual solution so I am sure that there may be better ways out there.  However how about having a simple checkbox (or you may prefer a drop down with more than 2 options) on the ordered list to indicate whether or not a slot is booked?  You can then have a filtered list of slots which only show those which don't have the checkbox = true so you don't pick slots that are already in use.

Perhaps you could have a hyperlink on your form to open up the slot that you have selected and then you can check the box to indicate that it is now booked.  When a slot becomes available again you either have a different form to complete with a filtered list showing all booked slots or you just a have a query that you can run that shows you all booked slots then you open and uncheck the box as appropriate.

Moving on from this idea, perhaps you could create two actions on your process - one to book out the slot and the other to make it available for booking again.  Each action would bring up a different window with the appropriately filtered list of slots.

Here is some information on creating filters:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-21625

Here is how to create a hyperlink on a form:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-19087

I hope this might give you some ideas to consider.

Best wishes

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
            Stu McNeill Employee

If you're using version 7.4 you can use automatic actions in your process to update values the related list item (once its been selected), this could automate what Karen has suggested by checking and unchecking the "Booked" Boolean on the slot record.

• 3. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
              Apprentice

Thank you so much for this information, based on what you have shown me I have managed to get it to work with hyperlink to tick the in use option for the Assigned Slot and have a filter list to not show the currently assigned slots.

I want to see if I can push it a little futher and create an action to assign the slot to the booked in Laptop and then to have a action to remove the slot on completing the repairs on the Laptop.  On the form I want to see if I can get it to just display the Assigned Slot as a read only option on the form.

However what you have shown me has really helped and for some part I at least have this in place just want to make it a little more automated.  Really appreciate the help thankyou.

• 4. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible

Thanks I am very glad my idea was a good starting point for you.  The functionality that Stu describes is available for CI and User records from 7.4.  This is described in either the 74 New Features or Designer guides as "Administration of users and CIs from a process".  If you were to setup your slots as config items rather than ordered list records you could implement a completely automated solution.

As it seems like a good idea, I've raised an enhancement request in order to expand on this functionality so it can automatically update other objects like ordered lists too:

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2593

Best wishes

Karen

• 5. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
                  Apprentice

So if i create a CI for Slot numbers how do I associate that to an action for the Process so that you can click action and assign slot.  Obviouly I would incorporate the in use option so that the list was filtered.

• 6. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible

You'd want to follow the "Administration of Users and CIs from a Process" section in the 7.4 New Features Guide:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-22075

You'd want to follow the advice so that your process action would update the CI automatically to tick and untick the "in use" flag.

Best wishes

Karen

• 7. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible

Sorry I just noticed that I'd already pointed you to that manual before.  The sub-section that actually creates the action is called "Adding the action that creates the objects".  In your case instead of selecting "Create Related" on step 3 where the Manage Actions screen is shown you would select "Update Related". 

Apart from this, was there a specific part that you weren't clear on? 

Best wishes

Karen

• 8. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
                        Apprentice

Thank you for all your assistance

I have created the slots under the configuration item with the Required attributes just two at the moment, SlotNumber and SlotInUse I have then created a relationship from the Configuration Item\Slots with the Incident Management\Incident it then appears as a Slots Attribute with the Icon to show link. I have then created a window for adding data under configuration management some data to Configuration Management \ Slots with a couple of slot numbers as example.

How do I make this work so that I can click or drop down a  list to select the slot and then it marks it in use, in reverse I need to clear it from the slot and un-mark it in use when closing the incident.  I have made a filter to only show in the drop down the slots that are not in ..

Thanks for all your assistance.

• 9. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible

Hi

Just to let you know that I've not forgotten your post.  I am currently putting together a document that steps through how to do this using your requirement as my example as I think that it will also be beneficial for others too.  It may take a short time for this to be approved to show on the community, (it's quite a long document as it goes through the whole process step by step), but I'll post a link when it is.

Sorry for the delay.

Best wishes

Karen

• 10. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
                            Apprentice

Thankyou so much, I will look forward to see your documentation on how to do this.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible

It's now available here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-24283

I hope that does what you were hoping for but if not let me know.

Best wishes

Karen

• 12. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
                                Apprentice

That is fantastic, thanks for this.  I am running through it now I will give you feedback on it soon as I complete.

• 13. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible
                                  Apprentice

Karen it has worked really well.  I have manage to incorporate it in our laptop process flawlessly and your documentation has been spot on and your understanding of what I really needed was almost completely answered in the document you created.

I have built it into our process and am now with this new found knowledge discovering other things to venture into.

With the configuration Item linked to the slot is the Configuration item meant to show in the Booked slot as this is not working and I am wondering if I have missed something along the way.

• 14. Re: Service Desk required process if Possible

That was quick!  I'm really pleased that the document has been helpful. I thought it was a good scenario to document as an example of what can be achieved with this area of functionality.

Yes the Configuration Item should fill out automatically on the slot.  This should happen as long as:

1.  You created a relationship between CI and Slot (Step 3).

2.  You put a value type from your process object (for example Request or Incident) for the CI to fillthe automatic action (Step 13).

3.  You have picked a CI on your process record (for example your Request or Incident that you are raising) and this is stored in the place which was selected as the value type during Step 13.

Having said all this, when I ran through this myself I found that one of the value types didn't get set correctly by the automatic action the first time. I deactivated my process, reselected my value types again and resaved the process again.  Then all worked perfectly from here on.

Best wishes

Karen

1 2 Previous Next