1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 10:34 PM by Catalysttgj

Software Inventory based on Directory name

I am currently on 8.8.  I have a need to get inventory information based on the name of a directory at a given path.

Example:  <UserProfile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\     (means they have Offline installed), but under that is a directory that is the version <UserProfile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\3.0.4  (means they have Offline with version 3.0.4)

I would like LANDesk to be able to break it down based on how many have offline and then how many each version and the versions are dynamic meaning I don't have to define each version in LANDesk to have it look for it.

• 1. Re: Software Inventory based on Directory name
          Catalysttgj Expert

I think you're up against a real hairball with this method since, to my knowledge, the inventory scanner doesn't inventory folders at all only files of certain types. (which file types can be expanded, but requires modifications to the template) Additionally one could go to the trouble to create a script of some variety that could be executed to collect the information and drop it into a registry value somewhere, and then the inventory template could be modified to pick up the custom registry value, but all of this would defeat your efforts to use something that would automatically know about new versions, so i think this is a messy approach no matter how you slice it.

The best avenue is most likely going to be pinpointing something that LANDesk is most likely already collecting naturally. I would suggest investigating the executable related to google chrome which might be hiding out in these folders that you mention. If there's any sort of exe file in these folders at all you'd be able to create an LDMS query that can find these using something like this:

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Path" LIKE "3.0.4\Chrome.exe"

It might not be Chrome.exe. It could be something else entirely, but if there's any sort of exe file, then you can use it. Including the subfolder will help to isolate to the area you need, but using the LIKE operator will help with different OS pathing situations and what not, so you're sort of wildcarding but also locking in a bit. You might have to create a compound query like this as an example:

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Path" LIKE "3.0.4\Chrome.exe"

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Path" LIKE "3.0.5\Chrome.exe"

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Path" LIKE "3.0.6\Chrome.exe"

Along with this you'd want some output columns to reveal just exactly what is what on each device, so add the columns that make the most sense such as:

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Times Run"

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Current User"

Stuff such as this will likely help to determine what a user is actually using in case there's multiples existing on device(s).

This might get you close to what you need. From there, at least editing would be centralized in the core, and not some special chunk of code that would have to be maintained/updated all the time perhaps like a logon script code or whatever. Plus you wouldn't need to modify the landesk inventory template since all exe information is pretty much captured by the software monitoring service real time, and then uploaded to the core whenever a software inventory scan occurs.

I think if you dig around in the inventory of a device that has chrome installed, you should find a wealth of datapoints that you can figure out how to get what you need in a query.

Anyways, hope this helps. Good luck!