5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 8:06 AM by Snowman

Restart after Mac OS Update

Rookie

Hi! Our company uses LANDesk extensively for our PC fleet management. We are now trying to manage our fleet of over 450 Macs with LANDesk. I am working on Mac software update deployment. I have created a few different test Distribution Packages and  afew Delivery Methods for testing Mac and 3rd party updates. In the Delivery Methods I have opted to have the client to always reboot after the package has completed. The clients do not reboot. This could be problematic for the OSX updates (10.6.6 to 10.6.8 combo) that I am trying to deploy because a restart is manditory after the update. Is anyone else having this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

We are running LANDesk Management Console 9.0.2.3 and the Mac clients have the latest LD software.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Restart after Mac OS Update
          SupportEmployee

Hi Scott,

Unfortanatly the Mac agent isn't on par with the windows agent. Agent behaviors for example do not work on Mac yet (it is coming). As for your concern about rebooting after applying updates you are correct that is a very valid concern. If you are using the current released mac agent then before installing the patch the user should be prompted with a dialog that tells them a patch is ready to be installed and after it is installed the machine will reboot. Once the user clicks the OK on the dialog the patch should be applied and and then the machine should reboot. If that is not happening you probably need to update your mac agent. Open the LANDesk Agent.app and check the version listed for the inventory scanner. Or you can look at your installed patches and see if you have the Mac 5-19 MCP.

Also just FYI, in the next mac agent (SP3) things have changed from what I discribed above. It will instead make calls into the Apple Software Updater when applying Apple patches. It is a more reliable patching method as we are then applying patches the Apple way. The user will still be prompted if the machine needs to reboot but once they aknowledge that patches are ready to be installed and the machine is going to be rebooted then the user is logged out and the machine is patched and rebooted just as if the user had run Software Updater, selected an update that required a reboot and told it to install.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Restart after Mac OS Update
            Rookie

Thanks Snowman!

The LD client shows as 9.0.2.45527. Is this the most current version for Mac? See attached screen shot.

Screen Shot 2011-11-08 at 10.33.45 AM.jpg

• 3. Re: Restart after Mac OS Update
              Rookie

Snowman, when is the Mac SP3 client due to be released?

Thanks!!!

• 4. Re: Restart after Mac OS Update
                SupportEmployee

Scott,

I haven't been given an exact date. We are on a 2nd beta build with those that are testing it. Release really depends on what bugs are reported and how long it takes to resolve issues so it's a bit of an unknown target. Of course their comes a time when you have to draw a line in the sand and send it out (presuming no major bugs are found) and I think that line is SP3 but we are hoping to have it released before then.

• 5. Re: Restart after Mac OS Update
                  SupportEmployee

Scott,

As to your other question of version I believe the 5-19 mac mcp should put you at version 9.0.2.47847.