4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 3:02 PM by tmiller

OS Deployment Problem

Rookie

I have a computer (Dell Optiplex 755) that had it's registry corrupted due to a sudden power failure. I tried to repair it using the XP install disk, but that would make the blue screen come up. We are using Landesk management suite 8.8. I then attempted to deploy an image using the PXE boot option. It loads the Ramdisk image, connects to the server where the image is stored, and then asks which image to use. I select the image I want, and then it goes to a Landesk screen and does nothing else. (See attached image.) I've tried doing this several times even using different images and get the same result. So I did a clean install of XP, and installed a Landesk agent. I then went to Landesk Management Suite and did a OS Deployment on that computer for the image I wanted. After running, it came back saying it completed with no errors. The computer rebooted itself, started loading and then stopped at a black screen with white lettering saying "Initializing Intel(R) Boot Agent GE V1.2.50 PXE 2.1 Build 086 "WSM 2.0" with an underscore blinking underneath all that. It won't progress any further and won't let you type something in. Normally, when you boot a computer up, it will sit at that screen for a couple of seconds and then start to boot the OS. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? I really don't want to manually install all the software.

• 1. Re: OS Deployment Problem
          EMiranda Expert

I see two different problems in your post.  I want to try to help with the original problem that you face which is...

tmiller wrote:

I have a computer (Dell Optiplex 755) that had it's registry corrupted due to a sudden power failure. I tried to repair it using the XP install disk, but that would make the blue screen come up. We are using Landesk management suite 8.8. I then attempted to deploy an image using the PXE boot option. It loads the Ramdisk image, connects to the server where the image is stored, and then asks which image to use. I select the image I want, and then it goes to a Landesk screen and does nothing else. (See attached image.) I've tried doing this several times even using different images and get the same result.

Try these steps and see if it helps.

• Open up a command prompt and do ipconfig /all  and get the Physical Address / MAC address.
          • Go to your LANDesk console and create a query: Computer > Network > NIC Address LIKE and the physical address that you got without the dashes
          • See if the query finds any records matching to the machine you are trying to image
          • Delete the record from the Console
          • Reboot the client and try to Choose the image again, it should kick off.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OS Deployment Problem
            Rookie

Thanks for the reply EMiranda. I haven't had much experience working with Landesk so can you specify how exactly I can delete the record from the console, that would be much appriciated.

• 3. Re: OS Deployment Problem
              EMiranda Expert

in the LANDesk console right click on the record and choose delete or select the item and hit the Delete key

• 4. Re: OS Deployment Problem
                Rookie

I discovered two things researching my problem. First, because I had SP4, I had to run a patch called OSD-4589288.4 on the core server. Once I did that, it started to reimage like it should. Another thing I discovered was that the first image I was trying to use was corrupted somehow. I used a different image and it worked jsut fine.