5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 1:19 PM by dmshimself

Adding Templates for self-service users to create incidents

Apprentice

Hi everyone - is there an easy way to have templates you have already created for analysts to use when opening certain types of incidents, be available for self-service end-users.  So like if we only wanted them to be able to open incidents for what we specifiy - such as ' network account resets, etc" - is this possible?

• 1. Re: Adding Templates for self-service users to create incidents
          ITSMMVPGroup

Yes - when you create the shortcut in self service for the end user to log a process, use the template drop down and the list of templates should be there.

• 2. Re: Adding Templates for self-service users to create incidents
            Apprentice

And another very silly question, forgive me as we have been live for quite some time and were doing Self-Service as a second phase which we are getting ready to roll out now, but how do I set up the Self-Service for end users - login as SA into self-service and add the templates there and that will add them for end users? I guess I just need a brief refresher on publishing self-service for our end users - thanks!  * I do know how to publish Service Requests, its more the Incident templates I am concerned with

• 3. Re: Adding Templates for self-service users to create incidents
              karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi there

Do you have a test system where you can try this out first?  What you've said below is pretty much how it should work yes.  As long as the end users can see the shortcut groups that you add the shortcuts to and you tick the options to create them as system shortcuts this should work.

Best wishes

Karen

• 4. Re: Adding Templates for self-service users to create incidents
                Apprentice

Unfortunately we dont have a test system, which is why I want to be really sure   I was thinking that adding them via self-service logged in as SA should get them on there, but I wasnt sure if there is a way to publish those shortcut to just the end-users as the analysts have their own templates for incidents which will be different than the end-users and I dont want to over-write them.  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Adding Templates for self-service users to create incidents
                  ITSMMVPGroup

If it's been a while since you have done this, you might also keep in mind that somethimes with mods to self service you will need to run an IIS reset on the server to make sure the items added, windows changed and privileges altered are recognised.  That would mean an outage if done during normal working hours.

So for that reason alone, if no other (!), I'd advise getting a separate DEV or TEST system together somehow.  Maybe mention in passing to whoever holds the purse strings that it really is best practise to have at least one of these.  However in the worst case if the server is virtual, a snapshot plus backup of the DB plus doing work out of hours should be safe enough to try things out on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful