6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 12:47 AM by JulianWigman

New Object

Rookie

Very much a Newbie question. I want to create a type of task called Deployment. In OO terminology, Deployment would be subclass of Task. After that I would like to be able to use both "Add Task" action and "Add Deployment" action on the Change process upon approval.

Question 1) What do I do on Object Designer?

Question 2) Does adding a new object change the underlying database structure (DDL change)?

Thanks, would much appreciate any response. There is a chance that I have not explained myself correctly so please be patient.

• 1. Re: New Object
          Expert

Hi

I'm not 100% sure on what you are trying to achieve here.  I think you are saying that you have defined a couple of Change Task processes, and wish to be able to call either one from a particular points in your change process....?

If this is right, then I think you may have an issue in your process design on the Change process.  If you wish to present the analyst with a choice of selecting 'Add Task' and 'Add Deployment' at the same time, then I don't believe this will work.  There is a current limitation in v7.4 that limits only a single instance of an action on a single status.  Although 'Add Deployment' may be renamed, it is still an 'Add Task' action underneath.  Hopefully this may be something that is changed in v7.5.

If you wish to build something into your parent process, you may be able to have a separate window where they choose what particular task they wish to perform, and then use your process to branch off to create the underlying task/deployment activity.

In response to your second question, if you create a new attribute, there is no change to the database structure, but if you create a new Business Object, then there is a new SQL table created called dbo.usr_tablename.

I hope some of this helps.

Cheers

Paul

• 2. Re: New Object
            Rookie

If I were to want to create a new "Add Deployment" action that have most of the same attributes / behavior as an "Add Task" but have maybe one or two more attributes and a different window, how would I go about it. See, I contend that a task is a very generic object. I would like to let my user create a generic task but also would like to create a more specific task such as a "Deployment".

I understand that I have workarounds to this but I look at this as an opportunity to learn more about this architecture and what can be done with it.

Thanks for your response.

• 3. Re: New Object
              Rookie

paul.enkelaar wrote:

Hi

I'm not 100% sure on what you are trying to achieve here.  I think you are saying that you have defined a couple of Change Task processes, and wish to be able to call either one from a particular points in your change process....?

If this is right, then I think you may have an issue in your process design on the Change process.  If you wish to present the analyst with a choice of selecting 'Add Task' and 'Add Deployment' at the same time, then I don't believe this will work.  There is a current limitation in v7.4 that limits only a single instance of an action on a single status.  Although 'Add Deployment' may be renamed, it is still an 'Add Task' action underneath.  Hopefully this may be something that is changed in v7.5.

If you wish to build something into your parent process, you may be able to have a separate window where they choose what particular task they wish to perform, and then use your process to branch off to create the underlying task/deployment activity.

========================================================================

How do I do this???

========================================================================

In response to your second question, if you create a new attribute, there is no change to the database structure, but if you create a new Business Object, then there is a new SQL table created called dbo.usr_tablename.

I hope some of this helps.

Cheers

Paul

• 4. Re: New Object
                JulianWigman Expert

Hi,

I've achieved what you are trying to do hereI believe.

Basically add your additional attributes to the standard Task object.  Now create a new Task process (say called "Deployment Task",  Create a new Opening window for this (maybe your other Task window plus your 2 new fields) and then create a view that links this opening window to your "Deployment Task". In your process design add the Task Action and on the task properties, set the "default process" property to your "Deployment Task" process and rename the Action "Title" property to "Add Deployment".

Does that offer a solution?

Regards

julian

• 5. Re: New Object
                  Rookie

I am sure that will work - only problem being that we are not yet on 7.4 and being able to set title on the action appears to be a 7.4 feature. That still is the correct way to go I think.

Thanks for your input.

• 6. Re: New Object
                    JulianWigman Expert

Hi ,

Sorry, yes you are correct that renaming the Action is a 7.4 feature.

If you are desperate for the Action name and the fields on your opening Task form are slight you could of course add "ghost" attributes of the same data type to the main Incident object and create a windowed Action (called "Add Deployment Task") that shows these fields. Then immediately follow with an automatic action and value type those fields across to create the task.  been done many times before to workaround design challenges!!

Regards

Julian