3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 10:12 AM by yrousseau

Fail to retrieve Physical CPU count

Rookie

Hi,

We  encounterer a lot of problems when we want to list the number of Physical CPU of our machines.

My search is based on these fields : Inventory > Processor > « Processor Count » and Inventory > Processor > Features > Cores per Package

I've notice that there's a lot of error when Hyper Threading is activated.

For Example :

Os : Microsoft Windows   Server 2008 R2 Server Enterprise Edition (full installation), 64-bit

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R)   CPU           E5630  @ 2.53GHz

Processor Count value : 16

Cores per Package : 16

Hyper-Threading : Yes

Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem | select NumberOfProcessors : 2 ( This is the good value )

This error is present on a lot of our server.

Could you tell me why the processor count has this value and where can I find the true value of the number of physical CPU ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Fail to retrieve Physical CPU count
          Rookie

Here's the response of the Landesk Technical Support :

Jan 5, 2012 3:29:07 AM | YingWei Zhang
          Bonjour,
          Confirmed with backline team,this is because Windows doesn't currently report physical processor count (confusion between cores, processors and threads) in a way that is usable to us.

Thanks
          Michael

So there's no way to get the real number of processor in the inventory. :'(

• 2. Re: Fail to retrieve Physical CPU count
            Employee

Hello,

what version of LANDesk are you using?

May suggestion is to try (even in a test environment) LD9 SP3 and deploy on a test machine the LD9 SP3 agent.

If the CPU number is still not good and you have other ways (script, executable, script that uses a WMI query)  to obtain this data you may consider to try to implement the suggestions contained in the following article to extend the inventory scanner capabilities:http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5730

Kind regards,

StockTrader - Marco

• 3. Re: Fail to retrieve Physical CPU count
              Apprentice

For information, we have exactly the same isssue.

Currently we have deployed SP3 with CP 0605 and the error is still present on a third of all deployed device but not all :-(

This is mainly true for Virtual machine. If we try to change CPU number fo the VM next inventory is correct but the error appears again later...