3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2008 1:08 AM by Scotty_E

Adapting Image from IDE to SCSI Devices

Hi All,

I have an Windows XP SP2 Sysprepped image that works on various models of Desktops (all IDE drive based). I have now been asked to adapt the image to the HP XW range of workstations (XW6000, XW8000, XW9400). These workstations all have SCSI drives in them.

Via another discussion thread, I have worked out a way of injecting in the SCSI drivers into a spare driver folder that I was wisely advised to create in my image before I sealed it. (via xcopy in the OSD script) I have confirmed by browsing the file system in the WinPE boot that the files are successfully copied.

I have also confirmed that the path where the drivers are copied to is included in my OEMPNPDriversPath line in the Sysprep file.

I then opened the txt setup.oem file of the drvers and noted the PCI VEN and DEV info. I then added the following lines to my area of my sysprep file; (note that C:\Drivers\pnp\util0 is the path where the drivers are xcopied to)

Upon restart XP starts to load and then BSOD with a 0x0000007B error (however funnily enough it doesnt say 'inaccesible_boot_device' like i have read it should)

To test that i had the right driver, today i applied the image, booted from an XP CD, used the F6 function to install the drivers from floppy, performed a Repair on the Windows installation, and windows loaded the image as expected.

I noted that the driver Windows records as using for the SCSI controller is actually symmpi.sys, rather than the inf. From my understanding though, it is correct to list the inf file in the sysprep, as the inf will then point windows to load the driver (sys) file.

I am now at a bit of a loss as to whats going wrong with my OSD or what to try next.

- Scott.

• 1. Re: Adapting Image from IDE to SCSI Devices

If your base image doesn't have support for the SCSI drivers built in you have to add them before you sysprep.  I have created hardware independent images that work on IDE/SATA/SCSI computers, but the only way to do it is to modify the sysprep.inf as you noted and build the SYSPREPMASSSTORAGE section with the drivers before sysprep.  then run sysprep -bmsd and reseal it.  The more mass storage drivers you load, the longer it takes to sysprep because its building it into the hardware detection list for when the system starts up.  the two primary causes of the BSOD in the case you're describing is HAL issues or mass storage controllers -- except in most cases I've seen the HAL give black screens instead of the BS.

• 2. Re: Adapting Image from IDE to SCSI Devices
            bhadzik Apprentice

Biz is right. One thing that I always got stuck on is that the sysprepmassstorage section needs to be populated before you execute sysprep.exe on the machine. Putting it in the sysprep file that LANDesk puts on the machine after the image is not good enough. You aren't required to use BMSD if you know exactly what the destination driver is, but it can't hurt.

• 3. Re: Adapting Image from IDE to SCSI Devices

Hi All,

Just to close the loop on this one, I have had success!

The guys are right, when you sysprep seal the image it 'reads' the sysprep file and builds all of the massstoragedevice info into the registry. This enables the machine to load the correct driver for the SCSI, SATA or IDE drive and effectively read the disk. If you add this information into the sysprep file Landesk injects at image time, the information will be missing from the registry and it wont be able to even read the disk to start.

After you seal the image, perform a test deployment to an already compatible machine and check the registry key   'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEMP\CurrentControlSet\Services' and search for the inf file that you specified in your sysprep file before sealing it. That way you can ensure that the information was added to the registry successfully.

- Scotty