7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 1:18 PM by karenpeacock

Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?

ProServices

We're trying to find a solution for the FIND vs. SEARCH fields that exist within Self Service and within the Service Catalog.  We'd like people to be able to use the Search window to find Services available in our Service Catalog.

What im wondering now is if its possible to drag the Article object on to Service and create an action to Create an Article off of the Service itself.  It doesnt seem likely since there is no process to put this action on.  Has anyone dealt with this before?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

I don't think so I'm afraid.

I was going to suggest making the CI object of Service knowledgeable = true so that the Services themselves would be built into your Lucene knowledge search.  However then I re-read your post and know that articles only will be shown to End Users via the Search.  I believe that it would work as a different way of analysts finding Services though so I thought I'd mention it anyway in case it is of interest.

Perhaps you could create a relationship between the article article and CI - Service objects so that when viewing an article an End User can go straight into the Service itself (perhaps a read only cut-down version of the window)?

Best wishes

Karen

• 2. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?
            ProServices

Hey Karen, yes, the issue of Articles being the only thing viewable by End Users is what we're dealing with.  We have set the Services to knowledgable on the object so that they are added to the knowledge build.  It works great for Analysts looking for a particular service.

What you're suggesting is to place the related Service object on the Article window and set it to a link so that its label is selectable and will bring the service up?

That may work, we'll have to create articles for each service though.  I wish there was a faster way through a bulk action of some type since we have over 250 services now.

It would be great if the knowledge that was built or objects set as knowledgeable could be set by permissions.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?

You can create templates for articles so could have many of the fields that won't be changing pre-populated by using a template.  It also looks like you might be able to map your Config Item table (filter out everything except services) directly to your Article table via Data Import or perhaps go via Excel to do this.  Might be something to look into.

Best wishes

Karen

• 4. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?
                ProServices

So I tried this Karen, couple things turned up.

I setup a relationship between the Service and the Article by dragging Service on Article, added it to the Article window and set the label as a link.  If I set the service, clicking on the link brings up the service, but theres no request service action like there is in the Service Catalogue.  Is there anything I can do for that?

• 5. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?

Apologies.  I was aware of this but I wasn't completely clear on what you are trying to achieve here.  I'm afraid that you aren't going to be able to replicate the same functionality that you get in Service Catalogue without using Service Catalogue.

In terms of a sort of workaround, I believe that should be able to have a html string field on the Service and/or article window which is a link that displays the text "Raise a request" and takes the end user straight to a new request window.  You can do this by just creating a new request and seeing what the url form is then using this in your link.  You can even specify the process and the template on this.

However you won't be able to pre-populate the CI requested field (as really all you are doing is giving them a different link to a new request window) and would instead have to make this field mandatory on the window.  Well you could populate the CI requested if you created one template per CI but this is not going to be workable of course!  You could have the template perhaps filter the CI list somewhat based on some of the other attributes populated for this type of request?

Here's an example URL in case this helps understand what I am on about:

http://<my server>/WebAccess/ss/object/create.rails?class_name=IncidentManagement.Incident&lifecycle_name=NewProcess123&object_template_name=StandardRequest0

Again not something I tested but might possibly be useful.

Best wishes

Karen

• 6. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?
                    ProServices

What I've done after messing around some more is actually displayed the Service Catalog in a Web Box I've dropped on to the Article Window below it.  I've put instructions on how to use the Service Catalog window below.  This way they have instructions on how to use the Find right above the Service Catalog window.  Its not perfect but it works.

There was a lot of confusion here on Find vs. Search.  People were opening the Service catalog and using the Search because its the first thing they see at the top of the window.

Thanks for your help, I think this is the extent of what we'll be able to do and we'll investigate any changes 7.5 might add and see if it helps with this in any way.  Its not really an issue, its just that people gravitate towards one end of the window.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to create articles of non-process related objects, like Services?

Good!  I'm glad you found a solution that'll work for you.  The other route was going to get complicated the more I thought about it! 

I'm afraid that although there's some new functionality around Service Catalogue in 7.5, (the new shopping cart being the biggest change), the specific confusion that your users had with the two fields will not be changed by upgrading.  I couldn't find an ER for exactly what you describe but there is an ER for the ability to remove the search bar altogether on certain pages:

http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2086

Best wishes

Karen