5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 9:59 AM by RickDavie

Is it possible to use only one LDVPE1.IMG for all cores?

ahe Expert

Hello,

we've 10 cores (8.7 SP4) in different countries and with different numbers of PXE servers (ca. 150).

We've migrated from 8.5 to 8.7 end of last year and switch partly from Win 98 DOS to Windows PE installation mode (the others use a own linux installation mode).

Installation with PE is much more faster than the DOS based version and has more possibilities as the Linux one (Linux has nearly the same performance as PE). So we think about to switch completly to PE but we've 10 cores and need for every core a own PE image. (Before we've only one "installation image" with Linux.)

Is it possible to reduce the number of images to only one? I know we've to include all certs from all cores AND change the all.reg file dynamically during boot. But does it work and how can we change the reg file dynamically?

My idea is to create a file with all core server and their associated ip-ranges, check the IP from the client and change the core server entry in all.reg before the reg import in startnet.cmd runs. 

Has someone experiences with this or a idea for a solution?  

Regards

Axel

• 1. Re: Is it possible to use only one LDVPE1.IMG for all cores?
          Expert

Axel

Yes this is certainly do-able, this is an extract from a SP Install whitepaper that I wrote to provide assistance for our customers to same the LDVPE1 and restore it, the last step talks about a master image:

Protecting your OSD ldvpe1.img changes:

Be sure to back up your ldvpe1.img that you have modified with updated drivers for SATA Drives and NIC cards. You can use these steps to restore the old one post SP5.

1. In your SP5 core source directory you will find the osd.inf file, the section will show which files have been updated by SP5.

2. Open your backup copy of ldvpe1.img with Winimage and inject those files listed.

Example from OSD.INF -Execute section:

LANDESK\VBOOT\COPYFILE.EXE %CORE_PATH%\LANDESK\VBOOT\LDVPE1.IMG" "%CORE_PATH%\OSD\UTILITIES\RunBatch.exe" LDCLIENT\RunBatch.exe(WAIT),60000

In the above example the Runbatch.exe file from the file://..ldmain/osd/utilities directory would be injected into the LDClient dir in the image.

1. Inject the remaining files listed. And save the new file in file://..LDMain/LANDesk/Vboot

If you would like to create a master Image with all of your typical Drivers included and those not needed removed that can be used to migrate to any core follow these same steps and one more: RUN this command last

UpdatePXEBootImages.exe "c:\program files\Landesk\ManagementSuite" ;;( This assumes that the LANDesk installation is on the C drive)

This step will update the .0 certificate file in the image and changes the all.reg to point to the correct Core Server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to use only one LDVPE1.IMG for all cores?
            ahe Expert

Hello Rick,

thank you for your answer. I'll check my SP5 download tomorrow in office...

But now, I fear I've some questions more

> 1. Inject the remaining files listed. And save the new file in file://..LDMain/LANDesk/Vboot

Which files must be injected, all files in Excecute-Section of osd.inf? What is the cause? Are they injected after installing SP5 on core too? (this is planned for the next week on the cores )

> RUN this command last UpdatePXEBootImages.exe "c:\program files\Landesk\ManagementSuite" ;;

Shall I do this on every core after copy the actual "master" to the cores?

My idea was, to store the "master" on a central store and deploy/sync it to the cores and PXE servers (with httpcopy, rsync, robocopy or something else).

If I've made (and verified) changes on the master (add some drivers or tools) I want to copy it to one place and then the rest will run automatic... (sometimes I've dreams... )

Regards

Axel

• 3. Re: Is it possible to use only one LDVPE1.IMG for all cores?
              Expert

Yes those procedures are to restore an old copy to the new core after the SP installation so they dont loose the drivers etc.. In your case all you need to worry about it that all the cores are in the host file,a and all the certs are there, the just replacate as needed. No need to do anything but inject the certs with the command below...

• 4. Re: Is it possible to use only one LDVPE1.IMG for all cores?
                ahe Expert

Hello Rick,

sorry for the question again... I add all certs in one image and all coreserver in hosts file and that's all?

I'll try it after migration to SP5 next week.

Regards

Axel

• 5. Re: Is it possible to use only one LDVPE1.IMG for all cores?
                  Expert

Yes I believe that should work nicely