3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 9:37 AM by GP.Portal

Why did a scheduled task run at an unscheduled time?

Rookie

I have a scheduled task set to reboot computers once a week late in the evening. It's a batch file that is pushed out using a standard push distribution. For what ever reason, it ran the scheduled task this morning. I'm trying to figure out why this happened. Does anyone have any insight as to why this may have occured? Also is there any way to tell if the task was started manually?

The batch file is as follows:

shutdown -r

The schedule task pulls the target machines from a query

Targeted machines are running XP

We are running LDMS 9 sp2

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Forrest Darst

• 1. Re: Why did a scheduled task run at an unscheduled time?
          Apprentice

I think you should not use this method but a variant.

I think your problem come from the LANDesk locally queuing task features.

I use the following method with the following bach file :

(reboot-PC-2330.bat)

@echo off
          Echo ce pc sera deconnecte A 23h30 minutes par l'administrateur systeme.

Echo This computer will restart at 23h30 By the system administrator
          at 23:30 Shutdown -r -f -m \\127.0.0.1

(End reboot-PC-2330.bat)

I can launch it when i want It always and only restart the computer a 23:30 because my Landesk packages create in a local task in the local scheduler of the computer to do the reboot.

I restart all the computers of my network like that in a single task. And there is no risk because if the Landesk task failed end if it still locally scheduled by Landesk agent, it will launch it later but the action of the Landesk package is only to create a locally scheduled reboot at 23h30. So even if the task failed and start tomorow morning, the computer willrestart tomorow at 23:30... So no problem for the computer's users...

Some time I would like to see all the society's computers restart exactly at the same time... lol
          What do you think about it?

I Hope it helps you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why did a scheduled task run at an unscheduled time?
            Rookie

Thanks! This worked great. And thanks for the explanation on how Landesk schedules task. That's great insight.

LOL! Everyone's computer starting at the same time. That would be something to see!

Thanks - Forrest

• 3. Re: Why did a scheduled task run at an unscheduled time?
              Apprentice

Thanks a lot for you return.

It s a pleasure.