9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 2:12 AM by karenpeacock

Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role

Apprentice

I have been able to set Knowledge Domains based on Group - but I would ideally like to do it by Role - is this possible?

• 1. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

This is only available on group at present.  If you want to you can raise this as an enhancement request in this area:

Service Desk-ER

Best wishes

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role
            Apprentice

Hi Karen, I'll do that. In the meantime - we have around 250 groups, so going through and adding each on individually could be quite a chore. Any idea if we can set it in batch or maybe a SQL query?

Thanks

Dave

PS I have created the ER here: http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/2696

• 3. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role

Hi

Initially I thought you would be able to use Data Import from a list created in an Excel spreadsheet but when I've gone to try this it doesn't seem to be working, even after creating a new target key attribute on the Group Knowledge Domain Category table.  I'm going to investigate this further and see if it needs to be raised as a software issue.  If anyone else has got this working it would be great to hear from you as perhaps there is something that I've missed here.

In terms of sql scripts, the table that the entries get inserted into is km_group_knowledge_domain_cat.  All this table holds is a reference to the domain and group but when adding a domain to a group it also generates a unique guid for each record so there will not be any way that a script could be used to do this I'm afraid.

Sorry to give you the bad news about this.  I have voted on your enhancement in the meantime.

Best wishes

Karen

• 4. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role

Hi

I'm afraid that I owe you an apology about this.  There is actually a way to import these relationships and I wanted to clarify this in case other people come across this thread in the future.  I have detailed the steps in a new article as there is one additional step you need to follow which is different than most data imports: Importing Knowledge Domain to Group relationships

These were the steps that I was following when I originally replied to say that this didn't work.  However I was testing on 7.5 and was actually hitting a different issue related to 7.5 itself which should be coming out as a patch shortly.

So I am really sorry to have not given you this information sooner, but hopefully this article will be of benefit to others in the future and perhaps to you if you make changes to your setup in the future.

Best wishes

Karen

• 5. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role
                  Apprentice

Hi Karen,

Thanks for getting back to me. You have saved me a lot of time with sorting out the data import. Do I need to wait for this patch before attempting it?

Cheers,

Dave

• 6. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role

I'm glad I caught you before you set all this up then!  If you are on 7.5 then yes but earlier versions should be ok.  The patch should be available very shortly - not this week but it shouldn't be too long after this.

Best wishes

Karen

• 7. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role
                      Apprentice

We have jsut completed our upgrade to 7.5 - and about to embark on implementing the Knowledge system. Thanks for letting me know about the patch. I look forward to being able to implement this.

• 8. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role
                        Rookie

HI,

Any news on this patch yet?

• 9. Re: Setting Knowledge Domain based on Role

Hi

Yes you can now request this via your support team.  Ask for patch 5419 for issue “Data Import mappings to related attributes are not imported”.

We were hoping to be able to put this on community for download but we are waiting on a new patch rollup method from Development which has delayed this a little.  If you are currently experiencing this issue then you can request the individual patch in the meantime, but if you haven't actually hit the issue I would recommend waiting until the patch is placed on community.

I understand that Dave has now got a copy of the individual patch and is now able to import his knowledge domain to group relationships.

Best wishes

Karen