3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 4:41 AM by JulianWigman

Multi Instance 7.5 Environment

JulianWigman Expert

Hi,

If we want to install multiple instances of SD 7.5 on a single server (for test) we can set up via configuration center and the server side components seem to be OK.

I was wondering though if anyone has managed to setup different Consoles pointing to each of the Instances on the same server.

I tried copying the "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\Service Desk\Console"  folder as per versions prior to 7.5 in order to create specific versions with different config files.   However the "copied" instances seem to cause console to crash on startup; the original one doesnt which is interesting.

Can it be done,  has anyone cracked and if so what is the process for setting up that works.

Julian

• 1. Re: Multi Instance 7.5 Environment
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

I do what you did Julian.  No need to delete snapin.config these days, just the console.exe.config files to change.  I usually grant the Users group modify rights to the top level LANDesk folder, but other than that I cannot think of anything else I do.  What sort of errors do you get?

• 2. Re: Multi Instance 7.5 Environment
            JulianWigman Expert

Hi Dave,

I did the same steps as you,  but get a general console crash (...do you want to sent to microsft..) type errors.  I'll try again then.  I was using the 64 bit version of console.

OK I'll try again and do some more debugging.

J

• 3. Re: Multi Instance 7.5 Environment
              JulianWigman Expert

Hi Dave,

I guess it was a permissions/ownership issue on one of the files then as replacing all permissions it now seems to work ok.

Thanks for confirming what I had done should have worked as I was beginning to think something was different in 7.5;  ie some sort of binding to other config files/directories etc.

Yep it's great that 7.5 has got rid of the dreaded snapin.config once and for all.

J