4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 4:47 AM by Jhamill

Task reports back as Success after first dependent package is executed.

Rookie

If I have a software distribution task that comprises of more than one .exe/.msi I chain the packages together by adding dependent packages to the primary package. More often than not, these dependent packages will be an autoit script that may uninstall another program, make necessary configuration changes etc.

Prior to testing, I assumed that LANDesk would only report that the task has been successfull when the primary package has executed successfully. However I have noticed that LANDesk reports the job as successfull from the minute that the first dependent package is executed. One of the main reasons I opted to chain packages together was under the assumption that LANDesk would accurately report whether the primary package had been installed or not. When running a provisioning task, the status will update on a per action basis which I hoped would be the case for chained SD.

I'm currently testing return code mapping templates but I'm not expecting it to solve my issue as the moment LANDesk receives a return code of 0 for the first .exe the whole task is set as successfull and no more return codes will be noted.

The core is running LDMS 9 SP3.

If anyone has found a way to effectively manage this or whether this is by design it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Task reports back as Success after first dependent package is executed.
          zman Master

Sounds like it may be an issue with detection logic.  Check this link http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7753 

If the Dependent Package is not a MSI or SWD package detection logic must be configured as part of the Dependent Package

Since you indicated that you use autoit (exe)....

• 2. Re: Task reports back as Success after first dependent package is executed.
            Rookie

Hi Zman, thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately adding detection logic to my .exe did not have any bearing on how LANDesk reported the job.

The first .exe that runs is a GUI informing the user of the intention to run an install, once the user has acknowledged this notification by hitting 'ok' the next distribution package in the list is executed. I presumed that LANDesk would only report on the task when the final primary package has run.

The reason I have created the packages like this was to benefit from increased accuracy when reporting on the success of a task.

I suppose the best way is to write a script which will act as the primary package which will control the installation by calling files that were sent down as 'Additional Files'.  At least using this method you can be sure that if the task is reporting as successfull then the installation was complete. Another benefit of writing a script to control the installation is the ability to make use of return code templates. 

• 3. Re: Task reports back as Success after first dependent package is executed.
              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

No, LANDesk will report the status after each package installation.

If you dont mind to install your software with Provisioning, you can also create Provisioning Templates to just distribute software. You can define each additional step and it will be reported on.

Frank

Axle-IT

• 4. Re: Task reports back as Success after first dependent package is executed.
                Rookie

Hi Frank, I have watched the scheduled task whilst the job is running and it doesn't update for each dependent package.

Provisioning would be my ideal method but with it functioning more as a push instead of a policy it is not always ideal.

Edit: Frank, I ran a few tests and you are correct. It's just within the console it doesn't update and only changes if one of the packages fails as opposed to updating per success of each package. I killed one of the packages during the distribution task and LANDesk correctly reported the task as a failure.

Cheers guys.