5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 9:34 AM by karenpeacock

Access to attributes on Service Window in 7.5

Julian Wigman Master

Hi,

I fear this may be a result of P-4828;  not possible to create attributes of same name as parent in child object perhaps?

Anyway take the standard Asset Management\Service Window.    In there is the "Service Description" field which is the Description field from the Assent Management BO.   Try and find that attribute in the attributes tree.  I'm assuming it's because CI inherits from Asset...?

I noticed that the end user window wasnt using the same description field and when I tried to add it it wasnt available.   As a workaround I copied the full window that did have this field on it and saved a cutdown version for the end user.

We should be able to access this attribute from the treethough or is the OOTB wrong to use this field.

Could there be wider issues here of fielsd we can no longer access post 7.5?  It might have been in 7.4 too but i'm sure i would have noticed this.

Julian

• 1. Re: Access to attributes on Service Window in 7.5
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Julian

I think there is some confusion here.  Problem 4828 was an extra safety facility which stops users from creating attributes of the same name at different parent and child levels of different attribute types.  For example, creating a string called Bob at the CI level and a boolean called Bob at the Service level.  This is because it caused some issues when trying to pass values of different datatypes between parent and child.

There is nothing to stop you creating attributes of the same name and data type / length on the parent and the child.  This is what has been done on the Service object I think so I expect that if you add the Description attribute from the Service object (don't try to navigate to the parent which is what I think you are trying to do) then the window will populate as you are expecting.

I notice that a case has been logged about this too so I am sure we will get to the bottom of this but I don't think that as much has changed in 7.5 as you fear.

Best wishes

Karen

• 2. Re: Access to attributes on Service Window in 7.5
            Julian Wigman Master

OK then,  it's just not possible to select that description field from the tree view then from what i can see;  the "description" you can get at is the one for the CI and I can see no  way to get at the parent (asset) service description from the tree even though it appears at one time you must have been able too as the field is on the form.

I'll wait for support to enlighten me then on how to get this field on forms and queries from the tree.

Julian

• 3. Re: Access to attributes on Service Window in 7.5

Hi Julian

I think I see what you mean now so I will work with the person dealing with this in support.  I am guessing that there is no way you can just take a copy of the Service window provided OOTB and modify this in the meantime?

Best wishes

Karen

• 4. Re: Access to attributes on Service Window in 7.5
                Julian Wigman Master

Hi Karen,

Yep already ahead of you as I did that yesterday as "workaround 1".  And that would have been the end of it until I realised I couldnt get at that field either in query designer (Console or WebAccess);  not much use when you cant include the description of the service the user is requesting via a query.

Hence to support case.

Regards

Julian

• 5. Re: Access to attributes on Service Window in 7.5

Sorry I just realised that you already did this   We will advise further on the support case.

Best wishes

Karen