5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2008 3:41 PM by PatGmac

Macintosh Software Distribution

Rookie

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success pushing packages or scripts to Macs while they are logged out (sitting at the login window) I'm not sure if the client can receive the packages while logged out. I'm also having some trouble preserving program settings when creating software packages, has anyone found a good way to preserve settings when the application does not appear to have a .plist file. (e.g. Firefox, Fetch) I have mainly been using Iceberg package builder.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Macintosh Software Distribution
          Apprentice

Yes, you can send packages to a machine when it is at the login window. LANDesk uses its own daemon processes that are owned by the root account so it doesn't matter if a user is installed or not. The second part of your question is a little bit more difficult. All applications on a macintosh either have plist files for their preferences or they place files in the 'Application Support' folder - its just a matter of locating them. The hardest part is actually installing those preferences on the user level since the install process for LANDesk is owned by root it can place the files where you want them, you just have to do some scripting through a shell script. I have one that will work (I will place it here as an attachment) or you can contact me directly about that.

For Firefox in particular you can also edit the firefox.js file inside the actual Firefox.app bundle. Look here for some more information: Apple Mailing List. I do know that Fetch does have some plist files - they are only exist on the user level though and you would have to include them in your Iceberg setup and then also include the post-install script necessary - see example I will post here shortly.

The script file can be added to your Iceberg setup as a PostFlight script - this way you are guaranteed that the .plist files are staged and ready to be copied by the script.

Message was edited by: mandebooks - Added the Example Shell Script File

• 2. Re: Macintosh Software Distribution
            Rookie

Thanks for the good advice. I will have to look further into the package distribution while logged out, for some reason every attempt thus far has returned an error of "Error Downloading Package" or "Could not run Client." As far as package creation I think I may have been over looking the plist files on the user level.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Macintosh Software Distribution
              Apprentice

Are you using standard distribution packages? Also - make sure that you don't setup your Iceberg packages to require any admin or root privileges - LANDesk takes care of that itself. If you are trying this in Leopard then it is possible that it won't work - Leopard changed the rules regarding what applications could be executed when the Login Window is active. I know that it works just fine in Tiger and Panther - and your best case scenario for Leopard is to also make sure you have upgraded your LANDesk environment to 8.8 - that is the only version that is advertised as having "Full" Leopard support. I haven't had a chance to test the install procedures in Leopard with 8.8 (waiting on the main LANDesk administrator to get the upgrade completed).

• 4. Re: Macintosh Software Distribution
                Rookie

Yes I am creating standard "Packages"

I haven't specified any admin / root privileges I have kept it all default thus far, I will check on that during the next package. 

Thanks again for the script, you saved me a headache as I'm learning Unix still.

• 5. Re: Macintosh Software Distribution
                  Apprentice

Almost every package should be configured to install with root priveleges (which is not the default with iceberg).

This will make the package work with LANDesk, ARD and local installs in most situations.

Also, Iceberg is great but you may want to add other package builders to your arsenal. You may find that certain tools are better than others for certain situations. For instance, Leopards version of Package Maker (free with developer tools) and Composer ($50 from jamfsoftware.com) both do snapshot packages which are useful when repackaging and you're not sure where the files are going.

I compiled a list a while ago of the different packaging utilities available here which is mostly still acurate except the Leopard version of Package Maker has been greatly improved and LANrev recently made their packaging app available for free.