5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 7:56 AM by sandman87

    OSD Script failing




      I have an OSD script for windows 7 that I am trying to deploy at a remote site using a preferred server to store the image. I have a script working there already, but I have just transferred a new one over with some changes we needed, and it is failing in what appears to be the step where it tries to inject the unattend.xml into the C: drive of the client. (see my log below)


      "Device-Name","OK",0,0:00:05,3/5/2012 8:41:52 AM,3/5/2012 8:41:57 AM,"ldrun sdclient.exe /f /o /dest="x:\cba8\FixWindows.exe" /p="http://coreserver/landesk/files/FixWindows.exe" /attemptpref"
      "Device-Name","OK",1,0:00:02,3/5/2012 8:41:57 AM,3/5/2012 8:41:59 AM,"ldrun x:\cba8\FixWindows.exe 1"
      "Device-Name","ERR_Fail",-1,0:00:05,3/5/2012 8:41:59 AM,3/5/2012 8:42:04 AM,"ldrun sdclient /f /o /dest="C:\unattend.xml" /p="http://coreserver/LANDESK/FILES/E6320%20-%20Win7x86%20GMBH%20-%20Deploy.xml" /attemptpref, STATUS"
      ; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"


      What I can tell you is the same script works here at home, and as said, another script we use works in both places. Just this one is not working, its like I have a bad copy of the image, which is what I am leaning towards. Can anyone confirm or give any thoughts? If I could find another place where additional log info resides, that would be helpful too.





        • 1. Re: OSD Script failing
          Tom Farrugia SupportEmployee

          Rem out the reboot command at the end of your OSD script and try again.  While under PE open a command prompt and see if you can view the C: drive.  My guess is for whatever reason is it can't see the C: drive.


          If you can see the C: drive check to see if c:\unattend.xml exists.  You can also try to run the command manually to see if an error message is displayed.


          "ldrun sdclient /f /o /dest="C:\unattend.xml" /p="http://coreserver/LANDESK/FILES/E6320%20-%20Win7x86%20GMBH%20-%20Deploy.xml" /attemptpref, STATUS"


          Also from a windows machine, try browsing to the xml file in a web browser"


          http://coreservername/landesk/files  Make sure you can see and download the xml file from a machine in the same area.

          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OSD Script failing

            Hello Tom,


            That is correct, when I tried navigating to the C drive afterward in a command prompt, I could not (the reboot would not happen after this failure, so I was able to get some of the info I needed). I will try to download the answer file manually and see what I get, then I will post results. Thanks for the reply.



            • 3. Re: OSD Script failing

              Hello again,


              Well I tried navigating to the URL to download the XML file and was able to do so. I suppose the reason it is failing is due to a couple actions prior to injecting the XML since it is not able to get to the C drive. I did notice on the previous line, that fixwindows.exe returned a "1" exitcode rather than the typical "0" for success. I am just not sure what .exe is responsible for each action required to set the drive up.



              • 4. Re: OSD Script failing


                I am running into the exact same issue. Did you have any luck?

                • 5. Re: OSD Script failing

                  I can't remember anymore what the issue was. But I think I may have had to re copy the image over, and/or resave the OSD script. Some of the first things I would check:


                  - Make sure your WinPE image has all the proper drivers for your SATA controller (usually extra drivers are not needed for the drive controller though)

                  - Make sure you re-save your OSD script after copying over an updated image (it keeps some sort of hash on the files or # of image files when saved)

                  - Verify your credentials are correct throughout the script (this has threw me for a loop several times due to fat fingering passwords)

                  - Make sure your client is able to download preferredservers.dat onto the X drive locally (can't remember what subfolder it is, maybe search through it), and to a "type" on that file to make sure it contains the proper host in there.

                  - Try your OSD script on a seperate computer to rule out hardware issues.

                  - Try your OSD script on your local site with an alike computer to see if the same problem happens


                  Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck.