1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 9:39 AM by Mach6

HII failing in OSD and Provisioning

Rookie

Hi,

I am trying to use HII with a Windows XP deployment using LDMS 9 SP3. I have created both OSD and provisioning scripts and HII is failing on both. I have successfully added drivers to the HII Driver Library but it is still failling.

On OSD the error I receive is: "The system cannot find the file specified".

In provisioning I get on the client: "error: [80001803H]The action failed" and in the console: "-2147477501".

See attached images.

Thanks.

OSD HII.png

prov hii 2.PNG

prov hii 1-2.jpg

• 1. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
          Tom Farrugia SupportEmployee

I would try to run HII manually to see if you can tell the point of failure.  Run hiiclient.exe manually on the same model that errored. This is the tool that HII uses to determine the model and match it with the appropriate library. You can find it in %ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\files on the core server. Copy it to the machine being tested and then run hiiclient.exe /autodetect. This will create a txt file in the location where you executed the application and in there you will see how the model is being identified.

That's troubleshooting step one.  Let us know what you find.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
            Rookie

Thanks Tom, I will give that a try and let you know what happens.

• 3. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
              Employee

What version of LANDesk are you on?

Also, from WinPE can you open a new command prompt and tell me the version it shows?

Thanks!

Edit:

Sorry, I see this is LDMS 9.0 SP3.  I would still like to know the WinPE version information.

• 4. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                Rookie

Hi Mach6,

Thanks for the reply. The WinPE version is 6.1.7601

• 5. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                  Rookie

Hi,

I have got HII to work now. It was an issue with Sysprep.

I am now having an issue with HII finding the mass storage drivers for XP. I have noticed a few people have had a similar issue. See the following threads:

http://kb.landesk.com/support/thread/18328

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/73599#73599

Can anyone verify that this is an issue with SP3?

Should we just inject the drivers manually?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                    Rookie

bdemetriou,

I am having the same problem you are, but with Win7 x64.  I get the same HII error in provisioning.  What did you do to fix your problem?

• 7. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                      Employee

I'm glad to hear you got your sysprep issue worked out.  I'm also curious as to what the fix was, if you don't mind sharing.

If you are having problems with WinXP mass storage drivers after applying the patch I would highly recommend getting in contact with support.  We have seen a few issues and would like to make sure they are all accounted for as we begin to work on fixing them.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                        Rookie

Hi,

Mach6, I am about to apply the patch and test. I'll let you know what happens.

Jadkison, What I did to fix the problem was I took Tom's advice to run hiiclient /autodetect from a WinPE console. Then I checked the hiiclient.log file which told me it was an error with Sysprep. I then realised that Windows XP had not been sysprep'd before the image was captured. So run hiiclient manually and check the log and you will probably find some helpful information as to why your HII is failing.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                          Rookie

Ok so I have applied the LD90-SP3-CP_BASE-2012-0207 patch which to be honest I'm not sure if this is the actual patch that has been mentioned but it's the only patch I could find that mentions some HII fixes. I also spoke to support who said to try it but they weren't sure if it was the one either. This patch does not seem to resolve my current problem.

I guess I have to ask, when deploying Windows XP onto a machine that has a storage controller that isn't included in Windows XP by default, is HII in SP3 supposed to install that contoller for you or do you have to inject it manually like you used to have to do with older versions of LDMS? At the moment from what I have experienced and from what I have read in the forums the answer seems to be "No, but there will be a patch released shortly to resolve this issue".

I really just want to know so I can stop trying, move onto something else and wait for the patch if there is one.

Thanks.

• 10. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                            Rookie

BTW here are the contents of the hiiclient.log file. It seems to find the storage files for the Dell Vostro 1510, which is the model I am testing, but at the end I get both "Inject MSD Success" and "Inject MSD failed". So it looks like it's trying to inject the storage drivers but both succeeds and fails at the same time?Not sure what this means.

The log file is the same both before and after the MCP has been applied.

GetImageSystemDirectory: c:\windows
                            Driver path found: \\dc\landesk\drivers
                            Determining OS version and architecture.
                            LoadReg() systemDirectory command: reg load HKLM\SOFTWARE1 c:\windows\system32\config\software
                            Registry successfully loaded.
                            OS Major version: 5
                            OS Minor version: 1
                            OS Product type: 1
                            Major and Minor version and product type gathered.
                            Registry successfully unloaded.
                            Architecture is: X86
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\drivers.db3
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\drivers.db3
                            Opening SQLite3 database at location: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\drivers.db3
                            filePath: HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/
                            fileName: ich78usb.inf
                            fileName: ich78usb.cat
                            fileName: ibexsmb.inf
                            fileName: ibexsmb.cat
                            filePath: DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/
                            fileName: iaahci.inf
                            fileName: iaAHCI.cat
                            fileName: iaStor.sys
                            fileName: ibexahci.inf
                            fileName: ibexahci.cat
                            filePath: DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/
                            fileName: netrtx32.inf
                            fileName: netrtx32.cat
                            fileName: Rtlh86.sys
                            fileName: netrtx32.inf
                            fileName: netrtx32.cat
                            fileName: Rtlh86.sys
                            fileName: ich78id2.inf
                            fileName: ich78id2.cat
                            Downloading from downloadfiles!
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexsmb.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexsmb.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexsmb.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexsmb.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/iaahci.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/iaahci.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/iaAHCI.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/iaAHCI.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/iaStor.sys
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/iaStor.sys
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexahci.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexahci.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexahci.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ibexahci.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/Rtlh86.sys
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/Rtlh86.sys
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/netrtx32.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/Rtlh86.sys
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/Rtlh86.sys
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78usb.cat
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78id2.inf
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78id2.inf
                            source path to download: \\dc\landesk\drivers\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78id2.cat
                            dest path for download: c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/ich78id2.cat
                            Download return count: 29
                            OS Version: 5.1
                            Not Vista kernel, using Sysprep for driver injection
                            driverList: 29
                            Load reg success!
                            Injection destination (with PNP & INF): c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/
                            Injection destination: c:\windows\system32\
                            Injection destination (with PNP & INF): c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/
                            Injection destination (with PNP & INF): c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/
                            Injection destination (with PNP & INF): c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/
                            Injection destination (with PNP & INF): c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/
                            Updating registry: new DevicePath value: %SystemRoot%\inf;c:\windows\LDDriverStore\HP Compaq 8200 Elite USDT PC/Win7/x64/Chipset/;c:\windows\system32\;c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Storage/;c:\windows\LDDriverStore\DellVOSTRO1510/Network - R179542/WINVISTA/32/
                            Update registry successful
                            InjectDriver() Unload reg SUCCESS!
                            Modifying sysprep.inf...
                            Write : UpdateInstalledDrivers = yes succeed
                            Write : DriversigningPolicy = ignore succeed
                            Modify Sysprep Inf success!
                            Architecture: X86
                            Inject MSD success
                            Inject MSD failed.
                            Inject MSD success
                            Inject MSD failed.
                            Inject MSD success
                            Inject MSD failed.
                            Write : UpdateHAL = ACPIAPIC_MP,%WINDIR%\Inf\Hal.inf succeed
                            • 11. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                              Rookie

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys have any updates regarding my issue?

I have been trying a workaround which is injecting the drivers manually but I haven't had any luck with that either.

I am using the method I found here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/adding-intel-matrix-drivers-your-xp-image-ahci-sata-support

Do you guys know of a better way to do it than this? Or a way that actually works?

Thanks,

Bobby

• 12. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                                Employee

Hi Bobby,

Sorry about the delay.  I took a day off sick and meant to get back to this.  Then when I got back I forgot to get back to you.

I have good news and bad news.  The bad news is that I'm pretty sure we've identified a problem with WinXP mass storage device drivers.  The good news is that the fix will be fairly easy to implement, and there's also a very easy workaround.  The workaround is to get a sqlite database utility (such as sqlite browser) and run the following query:

update inffiles
                                set filepath = replace(filepath, ‘/’, ‘\’)
                                where filepath like ‘%/%’;

Once this runs it should allow the Windows XP drivers to correctly install.

Please try that and let me know if it works.  There will also be a document coming out shortly with this workaround in it for reference until we can get the issue fully resolved through a patch.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                                  Rookie

Hi Mach6,

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm glad to see there is a workaround for this issue.

When I run the query I get "Invalid object name 'inffiles'". If this is referencing a table, there doesn't seem to be a table named "inffiles".

Thanks,

Bobby

• 14. Re: HII failing in OSD and Provisioning
                                    Employee

The HII piece has a small disconnected sqlite database.  By default it's located at \managementsuite\landesk\files\drivers\drivers.db3.  You need to edit that database file, and it should definitely have that table name.  To open/edit the file you can use a number of free tools, but I've always used sqlite browswer, which is an open source project from sourceforge.net and it doesn't require an installer or anything to run.

If that's already what you've done then let me know and if you could upload a copy of your db3 file that would be very beneficial.  The db3 file only contains driver relevent information and paths from the repository root to the actual driver files, but no server/share information.  If that's still not something you'd be wanting to post publicly then let me know that as well and we can figure something out.

Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next