4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 5:20 AM by karenpeacock

Child Incidents not resolving with Parent?

Rookie

Morning all,

First time poster here, not long since back from Bootcamp.

I'm having an issue getting my Child Incidents to automatically resolve when I resolve the Parent Incident. So far, I've checked my Resolutions Collection within the Incident Business Object and made sure that when I clicked Manage Actions, the "Propogate to children" option is ticked.

From the other posts in here, I assumed that would be all I needed to do, but it doesn't seem to work. I was also advised to check that the child process was not stopping it from being resolved, but I can see no reason why this would be the case. In fact there is even a Resolve action on the child incident.

Can anyone shed any light on what I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan.

• 1. Re: Child Incidents not resolving with Parent?
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

It sounds like there might be a couple more places to check.  This is a document which outlines the steps to get this working: How do I setup an action to propagate to child when performed on the parent?

Best wishes

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Child Incidents not resolving with Parent?
            Rookie

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply and the link! I'll take a look at that now and make the changes to our Dev system and report back.

Regards,

Nathan

• 3. Re: Child Incidents not resolving with Parent?
              Rookie

Hi Karen,

I'm happy to report that following the document has resolved the issues. Our Child Incidents are now resolving automatically when the Parent is Resolved! Thanks a million for that.

Now, is there a way that I can use that same or a similar process to ensure Incidents that are linked to a Porblem can be Resolved (with the resolution details passed across possibly) when the Problem is resolved?

Regards,

Nathan.

• 4. Re: Child Incidents not resolving with Parent?
                karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Nathan

That is great news thanks for letting me know.

On your other question, I might have someone tell me that I am wrong here and have missed a trick, but I think you can't do this in the same way that you can with parent and child as you can't propogate actions in the same way between two different domains (incident and problem).

If you are on a version lower than 7.5, instead you can create a condition in your incident process which checks that any linked problems are at a status of resolved but you need to have something to actually trigger off resolving these incidents.  I would suggest a scheduled bulk action that looks for incidents where the associated problems are closed.

I found a thread that gives you some ideas from another customer about how to design the condition into your incident process.  This will stop people from manually resolving an incident unless the problem(s) linked to it are resolved too:

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/22107#22107

Then you would need to create a query with criteria to look for incidents which are not resolved / closed but which are attached to problems which are.  Then you could schedule a bulk action to run the resolve action against these.

In 7.5 I believe that the automatic resolve action after a precondition in your process should work without a bulk action having to fire off the resolve action, but I haven't tested this for you so you would need to try this out to ensure you are happy with this.

I guess this may be a good opportunity to try out your new bootcamp Process Design skills

Best wishes

Karen