7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 3:52 AM by Paulus1969

Problem installing MSI via DFS

Rookie

We have a problem distributing msi packages to other subnets.

Environment:
      Windows 2008 R2 domain

DFS fully DNS implemented

Landesk 9 SP3

Windows XP clients (both laptops and desktops, SP2 and SP3 )

When we try to install a msi file (on a DFS share) to clients in a different subnet it fails.

For testing purposes I created apackage with a batch file with the following commandline:

msiexec /i "\\<DFS>\dms$\Package\<Packagename>.msi" /qn

msiexec /i "\\<servername>\dms$\Package\<Packagename>.msi" /qn

The first option fails, the second one succeeds.

When I do a copy (in the same batch file) from \\<DFS>\dms$\Package\ to a local folder it succeeds.

In the same subnet as where the servers reside we have no problem at all.

Can someone please help me!

Kind regards,

Paul

• 1. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

What's the MSI return code? Is the package fully replicated between all DFS shares?

Frank

• 2. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
            Rookie

We have 1 DFS share, so there is no replication.

A MSI logfile is created, but stays empty. The errorcode in Landesk is:

Result: Unknown status code (0x80000653,0:1619)

Return code 1619

Description:

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

• 3. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Does domain computers (the local system account) have share access on the dfs share?

Frank

• 4. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
                Rookie

Computers in the same subnet as the server don't have any problems. So NTFS rights or share permissions for computer objects are not the problem.

We discovered  that also the policies are not applied correctly in the other subnets (Regional offices). We have a WAN optimizer (Riverbed) between our main office and the Regional offices. Yesterday we disabled the WAN optimizer and the policies were applied succesfully. We still have to test the software distribution with this configuration.

• 5. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
                  Rookie

The WAN optimizer was disabled. The GPOs are applied successfully, but the software distribution still doesn't work. Now I get the error "return code 16386".

I tested on the Windows XP client the following:

1.a Started a command prompt with the system account (at hh:mm /interactive cmd)

1.b Started the package (bat file) with the same commandline as in the file C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\SDClientTask.KA-DMS01.792.xml (\\alfa.local\dms$\Package\<application>\<package>.bat)

1.c The package installs correctly. A msi log file was created in c:\Temp.

2.a Pushed the package to the client

2.b Nothing happens on the client. No msi log file was created.

2.c In Landesk manager I get return code 16386.

Am I missing something?

• 6. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
                    Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Is your agent up to date with SP3? This was a common error pre-sp3 with batch files.  Frank

• 7. Re: Problem installing MSI via DFS
                      Rookie

Thanks. This was the problem for the last failed installation. After updating the client (which was blocked by the riverbed wan optimizer) the installation was successfull.

Summary:

1: Wan optimizer blocked connections to the DFS environment (only for MSI and GPO (?))

2: Landesk client could not update because the Landesk client update package is an MSI.

3: By disabling the WAN optimizer the DFS environment became available.

4: The new problem we had distributing the MSI was caused by an out-of-date Landesk client

5: Updating Landesk client resolved the final issue.