5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 10:47 AM by karenpeacock

Empty results in reports after upgrading to 7.5

Apprentice

Hello all,

After I upgraded a test environment to 7.5, when I run a crystal report, for example Incident.rpt, the results are empty.

These reports were OK in 7.4

I updated the database, login, path information for the reports, the report runs OK, but the results are empty.  Fields, just no data.

This is also happening when running the report outside of LANDesk using the Crystal 2008 client and plugging in the guid.

Any ideas ?

• 1. Re: Empty results in reports after upgrading to 7.5
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hello

Usually when a Crystal report returns blank results but appears to run ok it is due to the table linking in the report.  If you link two tables together they will default to an equals join which means there needs be data in both tables.  For example linking the user table to the incident table and then the report being blank would normally indicate that there is no user specified on the incident.  In order to combat this I try to change most table joins to left outer which should mean that the report will return just the data that is populated.  You can change the links on tables within Crystal by going to Database - Database Expert - Links tab.  You can then right-click on the table joins and select left outer.

The other thing that springs to mind is that I've seen it where you've pointed it to new database connection details but Crystal has left some of your tables still pointing to the old connection details.  You can check this by going to Database - Set Location within Crystal.  Then expand the tree next to each table and expand the properties.

My last thought is whether when you go to the File menu within Crystal you have the "Save Data With Report" option checked.

Best wishes

Karen

• 2. Re: Empty results in reports after upgrading to 7.5
            Apprentice

Thanks Karen.

That was it.  I have to go into each table and update the catalog.

The database name changed when we created a separate environment for the upgrade.

Very tedious......

• 3. Re: Empty results in reports after upgrading to 7.5

Have you tried using the Crystal DSN setter instead (an .exe that should be in your reports folder) or is it this that didn't set the new location correctly?

Best wishes

Karen

• 4. Re: Empty results in reports after upgrading to 7.5
                Apprentice

Actually I did try it before, but have had mixed results.

The tool deosn't really tell you when it's done.

I used it after the upgrade, but it didn't seem to change much this time either.

Thanks,

Brian

• 5. Re: Empty results in reports after upgrading to 7.5

I just gave the DSN setter a try again today and it worked ok for me (7.5, SQL db, Windows Server 2008R2), so I am sure that there must be something afoot but we need to try to ascertain what this is.  You should get a progress bar going across the page to show you when it is working and when it's completed the progress bar goes back to the beginning (it would be better if you got a completion confirmation but it will definitely error if it hits any problems along the way). 

There is a problem raised, and it is also mentioned in the manual, to state that the DSN setter doesn't cope well with sub-reports but other reports should work fine.

The next time you need to run it and it doesn't work please log a support case so we can investigate further and hopefully get this pinpointed.

Best wishes

Karen