2 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 3:40 AM by rjpchadwick

Creating new Business Object - String or binary data would be truncated

rjpchadwick Rookie

I am trying to create a neww business object and link it to Incident, I can create the object fine and link it so it can reference incident but not incident reference it. I have tried it every which way dragging it onto incident and incident onto it.

In the end I deleted it a decided to use the wizard using created from Incident as the type. It all seemed to go OK until I tried to save and then I got String or Binary data would be truncated, same as manually creating the object.

I can't see why the data would be truncated, this is the first object I have created since upgrading to 7.5.

• 1. Re: Creating new Business Object - String or binary data would be truncated
          Expert

Hi,

It might help if you can tell us what you're creating the relationship for? For example, you said you want to link Incident to your BO and your BO to Incident, but in what format? Should there be many BO records available from Incident, or many Incidents associated to this BO? What are you naming this BO, it may be that the name is simply too long.

Cheers,

Hadyn

• 2. Re: Creating new Business Object - String or binary data would be truncated
            rjpchadwick Rookie

Worked it out, when I did the upgrade from 7.4 to 7.5 some of the user created attributes wouldn't upgrade so had to change their max length to 20 so the upgrade would work. After the upgrade i changed the values back to their original length and restored the data from a backup but didn't change the md_database_column values. Have just gone into the DB and updated those entries so they are the same (or double if unicode) as that of the table atrribute lengths (they were all nvarchar datatype). and can now create new attributes and link objects with the best of them