2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 3:57 PM by bwallace

Application deployment incomplete via Software Deployment Portal

bwallace Apprentice

I have an application that I created. I tested it using a standard policy-supported push method, and everything seemed to work perfectly. However I want the application to be available via the software deploument portal instead so users can install if only if they want to have access to this application. When I deploy it through the software deployment portal, the application seems to install incorrectly in that there is no desktop icon, no start menu icons and an icon being installed via MST into the startup folder is not placed. These icons are all correctly placed if the application is run as a policy-supported push though.

What gives?

• 1. Re: Application deployment incomplete via Software Deployment Portal
          bwallace Apprentice

After some looking around in Log files, I found that the icons that should be copying to All Users (Startup, Startmenu and desktop) profile are copying to C:\Windows\system32\config\SystemProfile (Startup, Startmenu and desktop). Why would it copy to a different location based on using the software deployment portal/policy rather than policy-supported push?

• 2. Re: Application deployment incomplete via Software Deployment Portal
            bwallace Apprentice

After some more looking around in the MSI logs, I found that if a user is NOT logged into the computer, the MSI does a policy-supported push installation and sets ALLUSERS=1 and the icons all show up where they should. If the user IS logged in, then the ALLUSERS=1 property is omitted from the commandline, and all the icons are installed to C:\Windows\system32\config\SystemProfile.

If I put ALLUSERS=1 into the commandline when creating the package (under install/Uninstall options), then it is passed to the MSI and installs as it should to the All Users profile.

Has anyone else noticed this as an issue before? How have you worked around it?

1 of 1 people found this helpful