9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 8:10 AM by demegui

OS Deployment on old computer

Apprentice

I have LD9 SP3.

Im trying to deploy my OS to a computer using WinPE deploy.

I cath the PXE representative computer , I can see the F8 menu an I select WinPE menu then I see "windows is loading file"  after that I just see my muose cursor and a black screen.

I have the NETWORK driver added to the win PE IMAGE but I cannot find drivers for my hard disk I thinks it is that I need.

this is an old laptop (my hard disk id is : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CA&SUBSYS_ ) I was looking on internet and I couldnt find I went to the web page provider and nothing, they dont have driver , I mean .inf files for this hard disk.

Does anyone know a generic driver or something like that or maybe can gave me any clue how to procede with this problem?

I went to the BIOS trying to change the SATA operation mode in Bios ot be compatible as opposed to AHCI / RAID / SATA  ( It worked to me in other computers)

but didnt see anything like that.

Im stuck in this problem.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

If this is related to accessing your hard disk then it isn't a hard disk driver you need, it is a mass storage controller driver for your motherboard. If you try to install Win7 manually from the DVD (assuming thats what you are trying to install) is it able to see the hard disk or not? If it can, then WinPE should since it is based on Win7.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

• 2. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
            Apprentice

thanks for the answer

Im no trying to install this from a DVD I want to install win XP i have like 30 of this old laptops

im trying to use LD like I do to other computers. but in this case I cannot see mora than the the F8 menu.

I cannot find a mass storage driver and I was looking in a lot of web sites.

Do you have any idea what else could I do? I have many laptop that I want to reinstall.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Can you see the laptop attempting to load WinPE at all or does it just hang?

What happens if you try LinuxPE (just to see if it attempts to load)?

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the devices performing the load of the PXE delivered image rather than a driver issue.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

• 4. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
                Apprentice

I modified the F8 menu just to have

- WinPE manager

- WinPE image

- Provixioning

So I dont have Linux.

After select WinPE image I got:

""windows is loading file" 

192.168.1.99 ... \Boot\boot.wim

then the windows logo like loading something and then just the mouse cursos and the screen is still black. I tried this many times and I always get the same result.

I use the same method for a lot of computer and all of them are good, so the same Image and the same PXE , the same network cable even.

I dont know what else to try I will try everything .

Thank you for your help and for your time I really appreciate it.

• 5. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
                  ahe Expert

Hello,

how many memory (RAM) does the notebook has? The Windows PE image need at least the doubled size of the WIM file (better >512MB).

I've this issue as I tried to install a OS in a VM and boot via the PE image, as I choosed too less RAM for the VM...

As you wrote, for XP it's better to change the SATA mode to ATA (not AHCI or RAID) and normally it's not necessary to add special harddisk drivers in PE image.

Regards

Axel

• 6. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
                    Apprentice

It has 1gb of RAM

I cannot change anything like ATA mode because there is not option in the BIOS.

I don't know what else to do

• 7. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
                      Rookie

WinXP's F6 sata driver?

• 8. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
                        ahe Expert

Is it possible to open a command line (click on button in the lower left corner)?

If yes, check with the command "diskpart", if you can see a disk...

start diskpart, a command prompt "DISKPART>" will appear.

Type in:

list disk

this will show you the disk, if possible. With the following commands you can see more details of the disk. (I think the number of the disk will be 0)

select disk 0

detail disk 0

these both commands select the first disk in the system and list more details about the disk 0

list partition

this command will show you some more informations about the existing partitions on the selected disk.

exit

diskpart will be closed

@Jo Phua:

if it were Win PE 1.x you could add XP drivers (better W2K3 drivers) in the image, but they use LD9 SP3, so I think they use Win PE 2.x (from LD9 SP2, Vista based) or Win PE 3.x (from LD9 SP3, W7 based), so XP drivers won't work.

I think the F6 key won't work for PE boot...as I remember, in the new PE's (2.x/3.x) you can add network drivers via command line after boot...

Regards

Axel

• 9. Re: OS Deployment on old computer
                          Apprentice

I use LD9 SP3 so all my drivers has to be Win7.

I fixed the problem  copyng the boot.wim from my SP3 patch ( inside the folder "image") so I rebuild the boot.wim ( using command unmount / mount).

After that when I PXE the laptop I was able to see my Menu and select my Image Windows XP.

Thanks all of you guys for your your help.