11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 8:09 AM by Mach6

HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?

Rookie

I am imaging numerous Dell models. We have similar models, Optiplex 745, 755, and 760. The 745/755 are pulling a driver but it is the incorrect one. Is there a way to force, based on model, the folder it pulls from? HII thinks it is a compatible driver but it isn't the correct one. We have obtained all of the correct drivers from Dell's website but can't get it to choose the correct one for those two models.

Any help is always appreciated!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
          Rookie

We were in a similar position when we went to sp3 with similar dell models as you particularly the 755

Have a look at http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-24415  it explaines how to manually modify the database landesk uses to chose its drivers with the new HII system essentially forcing the drivers you want.

• 2. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
            Employee

Hi guys,

I have a couple questions for you:

1 - Do you have the latest post-SP3 hotfixes?  The first few hotfixes had a lot of improvements to the HII driver detection.

2 - Are the drivers not functioning, or do they just not download the ones you expect them to download?  Basically, what is the state of the machine after reboot and what is your indication that the driver is not correct?

If we are pulling drivers for Win7 based on a folder called WinXP that could in fact be normal behavior based on that inf file, but if we are missing devices or pulling bad drivers then that is something else entirely, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
              Apprentice

I was worried about the same thing as Brandon, but after reading several articles on the community I examined my database and saw that the same driver may be used across several different machines.  I think the thing that alarms us is when we see the folder names not match up during the HII process we worry it pulled an incorrect driver.  In my environment I have provisioned at least 100 machines and none of them have experienced any issues driver related.

• 4. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                Employee

Thanks for the feedback on this.

I also want to clarify that I'm not trying to claim that there is no problem with how the process is managed right now.  I will continue to work on ways to improve the process, and any uncertainty on the process needs to be rooted out and eliminated.  I'm just trying to guage scope and impact of the problem, so any feedback on results is great.  If there are problems where bad drivers (as in, drivers that cause problems) are being applied then that has a lot more urgency to me than other things that might be more around the process flow itself.  I hope that makes sense.

I look forward to any other comments or feedback anyone else cares to offer.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                  Rookie

hi mach,

I havent been able to find any issues with the actuall Landesk Process it actually appears to be dell that is the main cause, they have a few machines thats hardware is very close. for some reason there drivers install for both machines but only one works with it. It appears to be when they release new models with very simmilar components.

I actually prefer the new system on the whole it has made the OSD Process even easier to use than before.

Regards,

Shane

• 6. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                    Employee

Sounds good.  It sounds like you've already worked through the issue this time, but if you see problems in the future it would be great to have a case filed on it so we can get samples of problematic hardware ids and the drivers that are mismatching on them.

Happy provisioning, all!

• 7. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                      THogland Apprentice

I've found one that appears to be problematic - when loading a Winows 7 Enterprise 64-bit image on a Dell Optiplex 990 that's using RAID, HII pulls the 32-bit XP version of iastor.sys instead of the correct one. Specifically, the v7.5 driver in R158601. The drivers folder and database have the complete Dell-supplied Optiplex 990 driver set, plus the combo cab for Win7/64 in there... Optiplex 990s using RAID and loading Win7/32 work fine, as do Optiplex 990s not using RAID and loading Win7/64. Renaming the iastor.inf file in that folder fixes the problem...

I'll be opening a case for this one - it's taken months to nail this particular error down, as we don't get many RAID 990s, and when we do the users are usually frantic to get their PCs, so we have minimal time to troubleshoot...

• 8. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                        pacificmags Rookie

Hi all

I am having similar issues with HP drivers selection and the new HII SP3. We only upgraded yesterday. HII is actually working but installing the incorrect drivers.

From an earlier post............

"1 - Do you have the latest post-SP3 hotfixes?  The first few hotfixes had a lot of improvements to the HII driver detection."

Where can i get these fixes? Before i go any further troubleshooting i think it would be good to do this first.

I have removed all drivers from my driver HII  library except do r the model in question and it works fine. Problem is i have 10 odd models and need to put the other drivers back. The HP 8220 is installing notebook drivers!!!

Thanks

Ivan

• 9. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                          THogland Apprentice

I know that in my case, I had no post-SP3 hotfixes applied. Since LANDesk doesn't issue MCPs any longer, there's apparently no patches that should be applied unless you're having problems...

Regardless, I applied the BASE-2012-0207 patch that LD Support sent me, and it didn't fix the problem. It does, however, do some extra logging, and save those logs to the imaged machine. So, you can at least see what happened, which is an improvement. I'm currently re-adding the 'bad' driver, so we can rerun our image, watch it break, and send in the HII log...

• 10. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                            pacificmags Rookie

Just an update

I have most of this working now. the MCP patch 4012a  did help but i changed a few things at the same time so im not sure how much.

I also re-downloaded all our driver from the HP site (we are 100% HP) and used the driver pack they have. I recreated our driver database and it all work now. Machines are copying down driver from other machines but so far that seems to be because they are in fact the same driver.

I have also seen several chipset drivers copy down but always the correct open seems to be installed.

I must say that it does work quite smoothly now and it  is certainly easy to train new staff on how to add drivers but i don't like not being able to control and manage what drivers are installed.

We did find an unusual issue where when saving the driver database after adding drivers to the directory that despite the saving process completing successfully the drivers would not download. We deleted the drivers.db3 file and resaved and it work that time.!

• 11. Re: HII pulling incorrect drivers, can we force?
                              Employee

Thanks for the update!  I'm glad to hear that you've got it working pretty well for your environment.

We'll definitely continue to look at ways to improve on the process.  Right now it seems that for HII visibility and control are the big things that need to be reintroduced somehow.  We're definitely looking at the right ways to do that and making progress in that direction.

Thanks again, all!  Your feedback is vital to making sure we hit the mark in future releases.