6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 8:27 AM by spitzej

Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?

spitzej Rookie

We're using version 9, SP2 and I see now you can put DFS paths in packages, but when try to configure preferred servers, it is rejecting a DFS path (getting red exclaimation point and won't save).  Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks, Ed

• 1. Re: Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?
          zman Master

So you would use all your DFS targets for preferred servers (\\server1\packages, \\server2\packages, etc...and then use the dfs link in your distribution path (\\dfsname\packages).

One thing to consider from manual:

This alternate bandwidth detection method isn't enabled by default. You can enable this option from the ntstacfg.in# file in the core server's ldlogon folder. Once you update this file, the changes become part of new or updated agent configurations. You must redeploy your agent configuration to devices for the change to take effect.

Look for this section in ntstacfg.in# and make the necessary changes.

; The following registry values control detecting bandwidth by file download

; change the UseDownloadForBandwidth value to 1 to enable use of file download for bandwidth detection

; the DownloadSize value should be entered as a Hex value between 400 and FFFF(1024 bytes to 65535

bytes).

REG1=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,

SOFTWARE\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\WinClient\SoftwareDistribution\UseDownloadForBandwidth, 1, , REG_DWORD

REG2=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\WinClient\SoftwareDistribution\DownloadSize,2000, , REG_DWORD

• 2. Re: Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?
            spitzej Rookie

Yes, DFS names as preferrred servers and DFS names as packages paths.  They're changing server names on us at some locations and want us to be using DFS, but I know 8.8 you coulnd't.  We're on v9 SP2 now, and it looks like the packages take DFS, but I can't seem to get the preferred server configuration to take it.

• 3. Re: Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?
              zman Master

DFS and unc paths have to be identical. Say you have server1, server2, and server3 as DFS targets, and your package share is called dist. So:

• \\server1\dist\
              • \\server2\dist
              • \\server3\dist

Your dfs name needs too be dist so \\domain_name\dist.

all LDMS does is replace the server name so domain_name_ becomes the pref. server server1 or server2, etc... Serve1, Server2, server3 need to be in the pref server.

• 4. Re: Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?
                spitzej Rookie

But why would the core server reject when I try to put DFS paths for the server?  It gives me a red exclaimation but no explanation on why it doesn't like it.

• 5. Re: Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?
                  axaly Rookie

Hi,

Can we consider your answers, concerning the DFS path to use as Preferred Server, as solved ?

Do you think we can have a documentation about that topic ?

Regards.

• 6. Re: Can DFS paths be used for Preferred Servers?
                    spitzej Rookie

Nope, since I still can't configure DFS paths as Preferred Servers.  If it's not possible, then that's all I need for a answer, but I have a ticket open with LANDesk right now as well and not getting an answer.

Plus, I was able to put a DFS path into a distribution package, but it caused the task not to run uniformly.