7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 11:30 AM by zman

Anyone have success distributing Java?

Rookie

New LANDesk customer, currently in the process of migrating my pacakges off of SCCM2007 and onto our new LDMS server.  I've run into a snag with my Java package.

I was originally deploying JRE6u31 on SCCM with something like:

ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 NETSCAPE=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0

Now, I realize most of that is deprecated...  But it still worked, so I didn't worry about it too much.  Except that it didn't work in LDMS.  I tried deploying the .MSI with those flags added...  Tried deploying the .EXE with those flags added...  And tried deploying a .BAT along with both an .EXE and an .MSI...  And none of it worked.

Then I went looking for documentation from Oracle, and saw that JRE7u4 was now "recommended", so I decided to give that a try.  And I also saw that we've got very few options as far as silent deployment goes.  So now I'm trying something like:

/s STATIC=1

I've tried the .EXE and a .BAT, and neither of them worked.  I tried capitalizing the /S and dropping the STATIC=1, but neither of those helped.  I haven't tried digging out the .MSI yet, because I don't have much confidence that it'll help.

So...  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
          zman Master

Did you purchase Patch or Security Suite? Sorry hit update to fast. Reason I ask is there are vulnerabilities built for jre.  What error message are you receiving running via LANDesk. The vulnerability uses for EXE:

/s JAVAUPDATE=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 JU=0

Good page for hints:

http://wpkg.org/Java

• 2. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
            Rookie

Zman - We have purchased Patching.

You indicate that there are already vulnerabilities built for JRE - can I leverage those for initial deployment of the JRE?

I'll check out that website and see what happens...

• 3. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
              zman Master

So you the current vulnerabilities only update Affect Products. So in your case if you have a bare machine with no JRE it will not work. However, you can use the exisiting vulnerability to:

1. See what command lines LANDesk is using (see above). They use three scripts....
              2. JREJDKv1.6.31_Manual. You can clone the vulnerability. RC on the vulnerability and select clone.
                1. Modify the Detection rules and remove the Affected Products.
                2. Save as a custom vulnerability

You can now repair the vulnerability via autofix (careful)

• 4. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
                Rookie

Hmmm...  Still having issues.  Tried copying the install string from the vulnerability, and it didn't help.

What I'm seeing from LDMS is...

Result:  Package deployment failed

Return Code:  1619

• 5. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
                  zman Master

So does your old commandline or the new one work outside of LANDesk?  Also see if this works http://community.landesk.com/support/message/60503

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
                    Rookie

Well, it's working now, and I feel stupid.

Zman - that link you providied described exactly the same problem I was having.  And suggested using the .MSI, which is what I originally started out trying to do with my 6u31 package.  I didn't figure it'd help, but I went and unpacked the .MSI to give it a try...

And I noticed, when I unpacked the .MSI, that there was also a .CAB included...

SCCM doesn't really require you to explicitly state what gets copied to the local machine - everything in the directory gets copied over.  So I was getting both the .MSI and the .CAB in my SCCM package.

But, when I built my LDMS package, I was only explicitly telling it about the .MSI - so that .CAB wasn't being downloaded to the local machine.  Which obviously isn't going to work.

So - built a new package, included both the .MSI and the .CAB, using the same flags we used to use - and it's all happy now.

• 7. Re: Anyone have success distributing Java?
                      zman Master

Correct you can either use a delivery method that states run from source, or if the application has multiple files you must specify them since the only file cached is the main file. MSI has an autodetect button you can use to parse the msi table and automagically add the necessary files.  Glad to hear it is working.