Hello, I am using LanDesk 9.0 SP3 on a 2008 Server with a 2005 SQL Server as the DB Host. We are trying to start using the Operating System Deployment tools and figured we would start with the easiest piece and do the profile migration. I set up the scripts, created the task and scheduled the job. When I launch it from the server it would fail after about 2 minutes and I'm seeing the following in the logs. I can see what its doing and why its failing but I don't understand where it is coming from.
In the sdclient.log on the workstation I see the following - what caught my eye was the location of the LaunchProcessasUser.exe that was failing. The IP address given is the address of our SAN server which has the disks which LanDesk lives on but not the server itself. The user doesn't have access through that route so it fails.
Thu, 07 Jun 2012 11:34:51 472 1324 FlushClientTaskQueue: queue is empty
I can't figure out why it is attempting to resolve that address rather than the HTTP we defined and use for our Application/Patch deployments. I ran a test to the same PC and can deploy an application using a Push just fine, it hits the proper http//ServerName/ downloads to cache and resolves just fine.