5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2012 5:27 PM by MrGadget

I have several imaging Questions

MrGadget Expert

I'm using LD9 SP3. Deploying a image for Windows 7 Pro

1. What exactly does Rmvol do? A description I found said removes all volumes. Ok does it delete them, does it just remove the volume numbering, 1,2,3 or letters, A, B ,C and why does it do this in a deploy job?

2. RMvol is followed by Wipecleandisk 0. If the above removes all volumes then there shouldn't be any disk 0 (disk 0 is a Volume) to clean so what does this do?

3. A image is deployed.

Then comes RMvolletter, I understand this just removes the letters from each volume, this I understand, just don't understand the need for it?

4.It's followed by assvol2 which selects disk 0, selects partition "N" (N is a token replaced by the script for partition put in deploy script), makes it active, assigns Drive letter C. This I don't understand because the image is already layed down on the hard drive and should have drive letter C already ?

5. Last comes FixWindows.exe partition "N"  N is a token This is supposed to fix the MBR?

Why am I asking these questions? I am using a third party image that I am deploying (altiris). Other is chosen in the script and it also points to the third party imaging tool. As far as I can tell the imaging tool does nothing to the image except install it.

I get the "use the repair disk to fix" after deployment.

I have tryed in the deploy script using partition 1, 2, 3

I checked and the boot partition is there and active.(Both partitions are there only one is active)

Something keeps messing up the MBR. (It has OS and System partitions).

The above is the only minipulations done to the hard drive.

• 1. Re: I have several imaging Questions

I get that issue after deploying images on particular lenovo systems. I don't have the topic to link you to to explain what the switch does (and I don't remember), but for me the problem was solved by placing the /r switch at the end of the imaging command that comes up after saving the script.

• 2. Re: I have several imaging Questions
            MrGadget Expert

That did not fix my problem. Thanks anyway.

• 3. Re: I have several imaging Questions

As an Altitirs guy in a LanDesk shop, I understand. It would probably save you time and some frustration if you became familiar with MDT2012 and WAIK. You may prefer to use ImageX.exe (file based imaging, like RDeploy) as your Imaging tool, it doesn't use sector based images like (LanDesks) Imagew.exe.  (FWIW - Sector Based images- this could be why your images are choking on bootup.)   The disk functions executed by The LanDesk disk preparation tool is similar to the DISKPART.exe tool in MDT2012, it just works differently and its commands are awkward to follow.

• 4. Re: I have several imaging Questions
                Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

First, to be clear, diskpart.exe is standard Windows tooling, you can even open it on your Win7 device and get throught it's structure. It isnt hard to understand, if you look through the answer files LANDesk uses in the OSD process (the txt files after the /s of the diskpart command). ALternatively, use Provisioning and its Disk Actions. It does the same, but is GUI based to create the actions.

To get to the first questions:

1. It removes all volumes. Basically, a CD or SDcard can ahve a drive letter assigned that should be used for something different in OSD. This clears all driveletters, not partitions.

2. This will clean the disk. Basically it will remove all partitions from disk 0.

3. A image is deployed, but be careful! If it's a disk-image you should be fine. If you use a partition image, or a file based imaging tool like Imagex, you need to create the partitions first and (in case of Imagex, format them).

I dont know where the RMvollletter comes from at this point, but it shouldnt be necessary.

4.Assigning C: to the windows drive is only necessary if you have a Windows 7 installation with 2 partitions, 1 for boot, 1 for the OS. If you dont do anything at this point, C: is the boot, D: is the Windows drive. Nothing wrong with that, but can be confusing for some if you need to copy stuff now suddenly to D:\Windows (like the unattend.xml, drivers, etc.)

5. Yes, this fixes the MBR, and puts the active partitions straight.

Your best bet to troubleshoot is to remove the reboot at the end of the WinPE command sequence and get in there with Diskpart to see what the result is from the actions above. At this point, the boot partition should be active, the bootpartition without driveletter and the OS partition with driveletter C:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I have several imaging Questions
                  MrGadget Expert

Thanks Frank.

Your answer helped to figure out a few things.