3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2012 7:28 AM by TaurusMiguel

WOL - Wake on LAN

Rookie

I was in class last week and the instructor went over WAKE ON LAN.  Now that I am back, I am trying to implement my power policy.  I can get the machines to shutdown but I cannot get them to wake up.  Is there anything I am missing.  I recall him saying that the routers and switches did not affect WOL anymore.  Did I miss more or hear wrong?

• 1. Re: WOL - Wake on LAN
          Apprentice

You need to verify the systme bios has WOL enabled...

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2090

Here is what i have used in resolving WOL in my enviroment Hope it helps...

Good Luck

Mike

Another step you can check in the BIOS (On Most Dell GX models; GX620, 745, 755, 760, 780 for sure)  is confirm that Low Power Mode is set to Of

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem:

After installing INTELPROGv14.7 Intel Pro100 Network Adapter Version 14.7 WOL no longer functions.

Cause:

Newer Intel network drivers include new power management options that need to be configured.

Resolution:

Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage

Click on Device Manager

Expand Network Adapters

Right click on the Network adapter and select Properties.

Click on the Power Management tab.

You will have 4 options here, select the options applicable.

Wake on Directed Packet - This will wake the computer from Standby and Hibernation when any packet is sent directly to the adapter.

Wake on Magic Packet - Enables the computer to be brought out of Standby or hibernation with a Magic Packet

Wake on Magic Packet from Power off State - Enables the computer to be powered on from a power-off state with a Magic Packet.

Wake on Link - Alows ACPI systems to be waken up.

The associated Registry Keys for these options can be located in the following registry key. There will be a subkey for each network adapter installed on the client.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1866 ---Understanding Wake On LAN

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6436  --- How does the Power Management "Turn On" task work

• 2. Re: WOL - Wake on LAN
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

To clarify. WoL is a standard technology that sends a 'magic packet' as a subnet directed broadcast. The target subnet when used with LANDesk is the subnet the machine was last known to be on. Subnet directed broadcasts are normally blocked by routers and sometimes switches (usually VLANs) so WoL messages sent by your core server will be blocked. Targeted Multicasting overcomes this by using a representative within the target subnet to send the WoL message, but this only works with Targeted Multicast jobs, nothing else.

vPro is a newer technology that can perform remote wake ups but also needs to be enabled and need additional configuration to be secure. Also means you need vPro capable systems and not all modern systems are.

Michael is right that you need the BIOS enabled for WoL but also look at your network card settings in device manager to make sure it is allowing the machine to be woken.

We have LANDesk add-ons that go much further than built in capabilities but you need to make sure your machines can be woken at all and that the standard LANDesk functionality is not enough.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

• 3. Re: WOL - Wake on LAN
              Rookie

I have verified setting on my NICS. 

Is there an article published or steps I can get on how to use the Targeted multicasting and how to set up the targeted multicast jobs?