3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2008 11:45 AM by tsmith

How do I...query for missing software?

Apprentice

I've been assigned the task of finding out if it is possible to generate a report of specific software missing from any of our machines.  ( One machine managed to remove its anti-virus software, and we'd like to check the remaining 250 or so machines. )

I've tried playing with the qualifier, but LD seems bent on doing things the way IT wants to do things, and not the way that I want to.

Is it possible to run a report on machines withOUT the antivirus SW installed?  If so, how?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• 1. Re: How do I...query for missing software?
          Employee

The trouble you're going to find is that LD records information about machines as a per-machine record of what's there - not what is NOT there. (Imagine that potential list!)

However, if you're specifically looking for antivirus on machines, there are a couple of ways to go about this. In LDMS 8.8, the Inventory scanner tracks the existence of most AV software on the client machines under Security - Antivirus - Antivirus, there is a value called 'Agent Running' and one called 'Auto Protect'. Those values are 'True/False' and 'On/Off' - so that should handily give you what you need.

If you are not using LDMS 8.8, there is a section of inventory under O/S - Drivers and Services - Services, that should report the existence of AV services (McAfee, Symantec, and LDMS should all show here) and if they are started or stopped. It's a good bet that machines that don't have an AV service listed here aren't running it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I...query for missing software?
            ahe Expert

Hello Tom,

create a query to check the existence of a specific exe file of your virus scanner. I do this for our McAfee:

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Filename" Not Like "mcshield.exe"

The query shows you all computer without this mcshield.exe file.

Regards

Axel

(I want to embed a picture, but everytime I try it, my browser crashed...)

• 3. Re: How do I...query for missing software?
              Apprentice

Thank you both.  I figured it our while I was looking into Wintermute's reply.

My first attempt was to look for an absence of the software product name, but couldn't figure out how to get the "Not Exists" into the query.  I know, I know, it's right there in that upper middle pane...but I guess I was just trying too hard, and it wasn't registering.  So I played with it some more, and got what I need.

I now have:

"Computer"."Software"."Application Suites"."Application Suite"."Name" Not Exists

AND "Computer"."Software"."Application Suites"."Application Suite"."Name" Not Exists

AND "Computer"."Last Startup Time" Exists

And I have what I want.  The first two lines check for "Symantec AntiVirus" or "Symantec AntiVirus Client".  We have two different versions and one version has the word client in it and the other does not.

thanks again,

Tom