5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2008 1:40 PM by beau.gordon

Software Deployment Question

Rookie

I'm currently looking at different options for deploying software, currently we have a program that was written in house and gives a list of executibles to pick from and the install kicks off from there, but we're looking to try to move away from that to Landesk instead, but I have a few questions I haven't been able to answer myself, and was wondering if anyone else could help out.

1. With policy based distribution, I'm believing that I can add a bunch of computers to an AD group, and when one of those computers logs on, the agent will check if there are programs to install and install them automatically. Do I have to set the task as a recurring in order to do this, or can I set something like a standing policy that if it's not there, then install it? (will there be anything to watch for 2 months later when someone else needs the app and gets added to the group?)

2. If an exe was installed manually, is there a way for the landesk package to know that and not try to install itself?

3. is there a command to run a landesk program that would check against policy and manually kick off the install right then? (my thoughts are to ween the techs from the old program until everything is ready for a clean break)

We are currently using the Management suite 8.80.0.249

Thanks

• 1. Re: Software Deployment Question
          beau.gordon Employee

1.  You have the right basic idea.  You can create a query (based on on LDAP query if that is what works for you) and add it as a target to a policy.  The policy starts and is always available for computers that match the query.  The query is reevaluated periodically (hourly by default).  You can set a task to check for new policies that runs periodically on the client.  It will check with the server and see if there are any policies to run.  If so, it will run them if that's what you want.  You can also choose to make that policy optional, so the user can decide when to install it.

2. You can set detection logis within a distribution package to determine whether the package is already installed.  For example, if file xyz.exe exists and is version 1.2 or greater, then the package is already installed, so don't reinstall. 

3. Yes.  See #1.

• 2. Re: Software Deployment Question
            Rookie

Thank you very much, I have only one question left then.

Anyone else interested in this, also found this post with the command and switches on the old forums

http://forum.landesk.com/showthread.php?t=5304

amclient.exe /apm /ro or /reqonly /c or /cache /to=xxx

/s or /silent /bw=xxx /tcs /smartui

/apm

Used to tell the executable that it is performing an application policy management task.

This switch must be specified.

/ro or /reqonly

Used to indicate that only required policies should be processed. When this switch is

specified the agent will only process required policies, although preferred and optional

policies will be downloaded and cached locally. The user is not provided with a UI that

will allow the task to be cancelled.

/c or /cache

Indicates that the agent should only run pull tasks currently in the cache. This option

has the client omit the policy update from the core server and process only whatever is

cached on the client.

/to

Specifies a timeout for the pull UI. If no user interaction has occurred before the

specified timeout elapses, the pull UI will be canceled and no policies will be processed.

/s or /silent

Used to indicate that the agent should run silently, that is no UI should be displayed by

the amclient application while processing application policies. Whether or not thepolicies

that are executed by the amclient display UI is determined based upon the

command lines provided to the respective applications.

Note if the /s switch is specified and the /ro switch is not specified, the UI for selecting

preferred and optional tasks will be displayed.

/bw=xxx

Used to specify the bandwidth that is required to exist between the computer and the

APM core for the amclient to attempt to obtain policies from the APM server. The

following values are supported. LAN, WAN, and RAS.

/tcs

Enable legacy task completion

/smartui

The smartui switch causes the UI to not be displayed unless there are outstanding tasks to be

performed by the client

Message was edited by: Mike

• 3. Re: Software Deployment Question
              zman Master
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Software Deployment Question
                Employee

version 8.8 doesn't have amclient anymore.

• 5. Re: Software Deployment Question
                  beau.gordon Employee

In 8.8 you will run program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.sync.exe on the client to kick off the policy installation manually.