5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 12:22 PM by MarXtar

Local Scheduler

Apprentice

All, I'm looking to setup a LANDesk local scheduler job that will reboot pc's every Wednesday, between 1-2a.m. However, I want to avoid any sort of Local Scheduler drift. I've built the scipt and sent it to a test device. Does the following look correct?

REMEXEC1001=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LocalSch.exe<qt/> /exe=%quote%poweroff.exe%quote% /cmd=<qt/>2100 /reboot /nocancel<qt/> /taskid=1001  /freq=604800 /start=%quote%20 Jun 2012 11:58:49%quote% /tod=%quote%1|2%quote% /dow=%quote%3|3%quote%

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Local Scheduler
          zman Master

Syntax wise it looks ok, since localsch runs under the local system account so it will run non interactively (no UI).  I would test to make sure it displays an UI if you want to give a user some notice. If not you can possible use vulscan in lieu of poweroff to reboot.

• 2. Re: Local Scheduler
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

How many machines are you trying to reboot? Wouldn't it be better to do this as a repeating scheduled task from the Core Server? That way you only reboot machines that are online at that time and you won't be rebooting machines that are disconnected from the network but still online (such as laptops). Also, from the way I read this, if a machine that is off between 1-1:30 could be turned on and then forced to reboot sometime between 1:30-2.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

• 3. Re: Local Scheduler
              zman Master

I think there are merits to both. LSTs reduce load on the core, which I like, and Scheduled tasks provide easier management (turn on, off, reporting, etc...) I personally wish LANDesk would stop skirting the entire reboot issue and address it

• 4. Re: Local Scheduler
                Apprentice

Mark, we will probably target 5-10,000 machines. Most if not all will be desktops. The issue is the machines are not being rebooted regularly by the end users except when we force a reboot for the monthly patches (we have a lot of shared always on pc's). So, machines will be up for 4-5 weeks without a reboot, and at times LANDesk and other apps start to perform poorly. The weekly scheduled reboot would resolve this issue without adding another repeating job to the core and in cases where LANDesk was in a 'bad state', would fix the client.

• 5. Re: Local Scheduler
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

OK, with that many machines then local scheduler makes sense. Central scheduling would take too long to reach all of the machines.

I would suggest then that you also include a bandwidth switch so that this only happens if the core (or another system) is contactable. That way only machines on the network will be forced to restart and you won't upset somebody that is mobile at the time of the reboot even if there are only a few machines (since you aren't allowing deferral or cancellation).

It you have someone handy with scripting you could be a little more advanced and have a login check that only launches the reboot of the machine has been up for more than X amount of time so that machines that have recently rebooted don't get impacted. Just a thought.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting