13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 11:58 AM by bwallace

Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

We've got LDMS 9 SP3, and we're trying to create and deploy XP images. We're running into an issue where if I put an image down to a machine, once it finishes the mini-setup and reboots the computer will BSOD with an UMOUNTABLE_BOOD_VOLUME 0x000000ED error. I've researched and researched and tried a bunch of stuff, but been unable to resolve this issue. I'll put what I've done in the body here, but can anyone help us get past this issue? I've tried everything I can think of/find and have had no success, anyone? Please?

Things I've tried:

• At first I thought it was a mass storage driver issue, but figured out it wasn't.
      • Per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760/en-us I've put in the registry entries for paritioning. I inserted these into the windows PE environment's registry. All the information I found about this seems to indicate that it applies to windows PE 2 (vista) but never mentions WinPE 3 (win7), we're using LDMS 9 sp3 which from my research uses WinPE 3 so i don't know if this 'fix' still applies? Either way, still not working.
        • I'm doing this by creating a .bat file that uses the reg command to add each of the registry entries:
          • reg add hklm\system\CurrentControlSet\services\vds\alignment /v LessThan4GB /t REG_DWord /d 0 /f
          • reg add hklm\system\CurrentControlSet\services\vds\alignment /v Between4_8GB /t REG_DWord /d 0 /f
          • reg add hklm\system\CurrentControlSet\services\vds\alignment /v Between8_32GB /t REG_DWord /d 0 /f
          • reg add hklm\system\CurrentControlSet\services\vds\alignment /v GreaterThan32GB /t REG_DWord /d 0 /f
        • I insert into the deployment script to download and thenr run the script. I can verify that the entries are in the registry and are correctly set to 0:
      • I looked into trying to add/modify the partion creation section of the deployment script (changing the diskpart command somewhere) but I don't understand what I would enter as values enought to do this, I don't fully understand the partitioning alignment issues and what the values SHOULD be.
      • I found that if I boot with the Ultimate Boot CD and use the TestDisk utiltity (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) that I can "repair" the partition by doing an analyze, search (list), write and it will write a new something that allows windows to boot, so I tried:
      • To script the TestDisk tool into the deployment script before the reboot. Doesn't help.
      • To add the TestDisk script to the 'after mini-setup' script, it didn't seem to help.
        • 1. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death
          Silvercoupe Apprentice

1.  Are you using HII (hardware independent imaging) or was the image captured from the same target machine model?

2.  How did you verify it was not a mass storage driver issue?  If you are using LANDesk HII, there is a bug in SP3 (unless you've contacted support about it) where the paths to the drivers being injected is incorrect.

• 2. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

1. Putting it right back down to the same system, turned off using Syspre and turned off using HII.

2. I guess I haven't independantly verified that it isn't a mass storage driver, but if I get the blue screen of death and then reboot to my ultimate boot cd and use the TestDisk to "fix" whatever the problem is, then it will boot into windows fine, all the drivers are loaded (no exclamations in device manager). So I'm making the assumption that TestDisk is fixing boot records or partition information and not enabling mass storage drivers... I was unaware that there is a bug in driver injection, that's good to know I'll have to remmeber that for if I ever get XP to boot up ok

• 3. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death
              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Do you activate the partition to boot somehow in your OSD script?

What is your full OSD Script?

• 4. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

I use this tool always worked for me on HP and other Sytems

you wil also need the injectmsd.exe as part of driver install

example what i have

REMEXEC44=ldrun h:\osd\tools\injectmsd.exe  c:\drivers\msd

• 5. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death
                  Silvercoupe Apprentice

What Frank said.  Seeing your OSD script would be helpful.  If you are creating an image on Model A, capturing, then deploying back to Model A then drivers shouldn't be an issue.  Unless you have a SYSPREP.inf file in your C:\sysprep folder that is doing something else?

If you could, ZIP up your OSD script and any sysprep files (either injected during OSD or resident when you sysprep and capture).  Make sure to blot out and specifics.

• 6. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

@Frank - I'm not manually activating the partition. I'm using the standard deployment script as a base and then just adding to it, not changing any of the LanDesk commands (except the order).

@Treverdunne - I don't think it's a mass storage driver issue since once I use the TestDisk utility to fix the partition, it boots fine and all the correcte drivers are loaded.

I attached the OSD script as well as the SysPrep.inf file that is on the system when it is sysprepped. I turned off having the deployment do the SysPrep since I was getting issue and wanted to make sure that wasn't part of the problem. Also included is a .bat file that inserts the registry entries inot the WINPE environment, it is referenced in the OSD script I think at lines 17 and 18 (one downloads and then the other runs it).

• 7. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death
                      Silvercoupe Apprentice

Have you recreated your OSD script(s) since you upgraded to SP3?  I've attached an XP OSD script that I use several times daily on several models.  I think I only added one line item that runs a VBS in PE that prompts our technicians to name the LANDesk record for the desired AD computer name.  I have never had to use anything similar to what you're using in the BAT file to modify the PE registry.  I don't believe this is required.

You may also be able to remove several line items from your SYSPREP.inf file, especially if the file is resident when you run sysprep against your image prior to capture, for instance the EXTENDPARTITION commands.  Those are created automatically for you in the OSD script and are processed during the PE session prior to reboot.

If you can, I would try the following:

1.  Capture your reference image without using a local SYSPREP.inf.  Just have sysprep.exe and setupcl.exe in the C:\sysprep folder.  Run it and select "Use Mini Setup" and Shut Down.  Capture image.

2.  Create an OSD script in LD that uses Sysprep.  This will create the sysprep file to go along with your OSD script (\\%core%\ldmain\landesk\files).  You can add most of the information you had in your local SYSPREP.inf to the new INF as it will be injected after the C: volume is created.  You should be able to leave out the "UpdateInstalledDrivers" and "ExtendOEMPartition" line items.

3.  I would not add the line items for that batch file and see how things go.  There shouldn't be any reason to modify WinPE in order to deploy an XP image.

4.  As you are capturing and deploying to the same model you shouldn't need to enable HII for the OSD script.

Try that and see how it goes.  As I said, I deploy XP using Win7 PE all the time and there's been no need to modify the PE reg to allow this to happen.

• 8. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

I would try to comment out line 42 of your OSD script. You are extending the partition in both the sysprep.inf and the OSD script.

I had an issue similar to what you are describing and that fixed it

From your sysprep file

From your OSD script

REMEXEC38=ldrun x:\cba8\FixWindows.exe 1

REMEXEC39=cmd /c copy /y X:\LDClient\guid.pds C:\LDISCAN.CFG

REMEXEC40=ldrun tokreplw C:\LDISCAN.CFG DEVICEID=%Computer - Device ID%

REMEXEC41=ldrun tokreplw C:\LDISCAN.CFG IMAGEPATH=\\CoreSvr.Ourdomain.local\images\TR-Desk.TBI

REMEXEC42=ldrun diskinfo extend_last_partition

REMEXEC43=ldrun reboot, timeout=2

• 9. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

@Silvercoupe - I'll try your suggestions. We actually are pretty new to LANDesk, in the last 6 months, we did our initial install directly to SP3 so all scripts were/are created using sp3. I actually started with LD creating the sysprep and just using mine as a template to fill in the information for the most part. I stripped everything down as much as possible so that I could test and see what was going wrong. I'll go back and do some checking against your stuff.

• 10. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death
                            Silvercoupe Apprentice

I don't know what hardware you are imaging, but are you using Advanced Format hard drives?  We're mostly HP workstations here and we recently started receiving machines with Advanced Format Seagate Barracudas where they normally shipped with Hitachi drives.  My techs were telling me that after imaging a machine with Windows 7, the image would go through fine but during Setup when it begins detecting devices it would bomb out.  WinPE could image the drive without issue, but the image/HII did not have the appropriate driver for Advanced Format so we had to set the SATA port to IDE mode, image the box, then modify the reg to properly use AHCI mode. 

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing but it's worth mentioning.  It through us for a loop as half the machines, from the same order and same pallets, had the new drives and some had older.  I guess they ran out at the factory, who knows.  We've now seen 3 or 4 different hard drive models shipping in the HP Z210 SFF Workstation.  Techs just need to be aware that some are Advanced Format and some aren't.  Might be worth checking your drives to see what you're dealing with.

• 11. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

We're all Dell machines, the one I've been working with is an optiplex 980.I think it supports the advanced format stuff, but since we're loading XP, the drivers for aren't built in so we usually set it to ATA in the bios.

Like I said, I don't think it's storage drivers since if it's crashing out, I can boot from my ultimate boot CD and then run the TestDisk utility. Once it writes a new partition table, then everything boots just like it should, and all the drivers are correctly loaded. But maybe I'm missing something?

• 12. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death
                                Silvercoupe Apprentice

It may not have anything to do with your drives.  I just thought it was worth mentioning as we recently had an issue that sounded similar to what you were experiencing.

• 13. Re: Imaging with XP - Blue Screen of Death

After some testing, it seems that if I remove the:

line from the Sysprep.inf file, that it loads correctly. I wonder if there's possibility that since the WinPE environment is using the Win7 version of Diskpart to extend the volume, that if Sysprep tries to do it at the end of minisetup it may be using the XP version and causing havoc?

At any rate, if put back in the UpdateInstalledDrivers line, it works fine.

Thanks everyone for all their help, I can't tell you how appreciated it is!

1 of 1 people found this helpful