1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 2:16 PM by Tracy

Unattend.xml Issues

Apprentice

I have a Win7 image set up in my primary location through provisioning templates. Everything works with no issues in my location. I set up an identical template using all of the same exact files in a rmeote location using their file server and no matter what I do, it always fails on the unattend.xml copy. I have attached a picture of the template error that is received. The server it pulls from here in my location is the physical LANDesk core server and the file share it is pulling from in the remote location is a net appliance. Any help or ideas that anyone may have would be appreciated.

Mike D

• 1. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
          Tracy Expert

Mike,

since you are still in WinPE when it fails, close the window and open a new console prompt and look in the x:\ldprovision\ directory for the log files. There should be a corresponding log file for the action that is failing... copy file, inject script, etc.

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
            Apprentice

I was able to extract the log file but the only thing it tells me is that the action failed. Unless I am missing something else......

• 3. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
              Tracy Expert

the ldprovision.log won't really tell you anything useful in this instance. The logs you will be interested in are the individual action handler logs. I don't remember the actual names but they resemble their respective handler name. e.g. HII would be HIIclient.log, Map drive would be something like smbsharehandler.log, script handler (sysprep injection) would be something like injectsctipthandler.log. Again, i can't remember what the actual logs are called and those were just guesses.

Also, depending on where the template failed, the logs will get moved. If the template failed in WinPE, they will be in x:\ldprovision whereas if the failure happened after the reboot into the actual OS, they will have been copied to c:\windows\temp\

good luck

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                Apprentice

OK, found the right file, still doesn't say much as to why it failed though

2012-07-18 22:28:29(1408-1732) CopyFileHandler.exe:Command copy "S:\Tools\SyspreINFs\Unattend64.xml" "D:\Windows\Panther\Unattend.xml" failed with 1

• 5. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                  Tracy Expert

If you open a cmd prompt in WinPE after the failure, do you actually have a d:\? I'm assuming your Windows partition is #2 and the recovery is #1... the recovery partition may not get a drive letter assigned, which would make you windows partition c:\... You should be able to tell from a command prompt and adjust your template accordingly.

I personally got tired of having to tweak things because of the recovery partition and just did away with it so the image is only 1 partition. So much easier.

-Tracy

• 6. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                    Apprentice

I checked this and we do in fact have a D:\  You are correct in your assumption of recovery as 1 and Windows as 2.

The strange this is that in my location everything works fine as is and it is set up exactly the same in this other location (except that it maps to a local file share) and that doesn't work. All of the steps in the template are identical and in the same order. It is the same exact unattend file and it is the same exact TBI file.

None of it really makes any sense at all.

• 7. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                      Tracy Expert

Just curious, but why are you using a file copy operation for your unattend.xml vs. a inject script action? Not sure, but it seems like the drive mapping/authentication/file permissions are what is hanging you up here... Inject script action wouldn't have this issue.

-Tracy

• 8. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                        Apprentice

Not exactly sure why that is, that is how our consultant set us up so we've been using it that way all along.

• 9. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                          Apprentice

Seems I have even more issues now.... tried to create an inject script job in the template and get this error, see the attachment. I did create a file copy script under the manage scripts section and moved it to public scripts but nothing is pulling up.

• 10. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                            Tracy Expert

I don't see an attachment, but will guess that you have the script and template set to different OS's so it's not showing up as an option. That's a pretty common occurance. so for example, when you added the xml to install scripts, make sure you set it to Win7x64 and your template is for Win7x64... this of course is assuming you are deploying Win7x64.

-Tracy

• 11. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                              Apprentice

I am not seeing an option to choose the OS, dumb question, are you talking about OSD scripts or manage scripts? I have not had any experience with OSD scripts at all.

• 12. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                                Tracy Expert

No. I am talking about the install scripts and the properties of the provisioning template itself. See screenshots.

installscript1.JPG

installscript2.JPG

-Tracy

• 13. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                                  Apprentice

Ok so basically I can create one of these, point to the unattend.xml file I want to use. Then go into the template and create an inject script, select that and then I can put the D:\windows etc..... unattend.xml and it will over write the contents?

• 14. Re: Unattend.xml Issues
                                    Tracy Expert

exactly. One other gotcha to watchout for is the "insert variables" option when creating the install script. You want to make sure that you don't add them manually and then check this option as well, or they will not properly resolve.

Once you get your script setup, just add the inject script action to your template and your previously setup script should be in the dropdown menu, then give it the destination path and filename you want. See my screenshot below.

-Tracy

installscript3.JPG

1 2 Previous Next