3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 7:30 AM by geezup

Help with packaging AIM

Rookie

I have ben able to package it somewhat but here is the issue.

Due to compliance issues we need to use a particular version of AIM.

I have been able to get that packaged and installed on the users PC without an issues.

Due to compliance issues I need to have the AIM login redirected to an outside regulatory address. Aim stores this information in a global.xml file that resides on the users AppData\Local\AIM\Settings\global.xml.    Due to the size and user layout I can't confirm the users will be all logged on when I do the install of the AIM client so STARTASUSER.EXE would work fine for the logged on users but what about the logged off users? . How can i get this file to the users AppData\Local\AIM\Settings.  Mind you we use roaming profiles and there are numerous profiles on each machine.

Anyway I was also thinking to use GPO or logon script but I really wanted to use Landesk if at all possible

• 1. Re: Help with packaging AIM
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Sounds like something you would script to parse all of the user locations on each machine to place a copy of that file. Without scripting, the only way I can see this being done by LANDesk is to have two jobs.

The first would perform the install whether or not a user is present. The second would be a policy that runs as the user and it's sole purpose it to place that file. If you link this policy to a user target and set it to run as a required policy then it could do the trick. Sort of depends on how you have policies being checked.

Personally I'd go for the scripting option, cleaner. Sorry i don't have an example script to hand but I'm sure there are similar threads that will have some examples if you do a bit of searching.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with packaging AIM
            Rookie

I was able to script a solution

'==========================================================================

' AUTHOR:

' DATE  : 7/25/2012

' COMMENT: This script will copy source files/folders to each user profile on the machine

'==========================================================================

'On Error Resume Next

'DECLARE VARIABLES HERE

Dim fso

Dim oFolder1, objFolder, oFolder

Dim path

Dim WSHShell

Dim colFolders

Dim sDocsAndSettings

Dim strComputer

strComputer = "."

Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set fso = createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'SPECIFY THE PATH OF THE FOLDER IN WHICH SOURCE FILES RESIDE

Set oFolder1 = fso.GetFolder("\\servername\Software\AIM_7.5\global\")

'COPY FILES TO USER PROFILES

sDocsAndSettings = "C:\Documents and Settings\"  

Set colFolders = fso.GetFolder(sDocsAndSettings)

For Each oFolder In colFolders.SubFolders

Select Case LCase(oFolder.Name)

Case "admin", "administrator", "newuser", "all users", "default user", "default user.original", "localservice", "networkservice"

'LEAVE THE DEFAULT PROFILES ON THE MACHINE

Case Else

' Check for the path

If fso.FolderExists(sDocsAndSettings & oFolder.Name & "\local settings\application data\aim\settings") Then

'COPY FOLDER TO USER PROFILE

fso.CopyFolder oFolder1, sDocsAndSettings & oFolder.Name & "\local settings\application data\aim\settings" ,True

'MsgBox "Copied  to: " & sDocsAndSettings & oFolder.Name & "\local settings\application data\aim\settings"

End If

End Select

Next

Set fso = Nothing

Set WSHShell = Nothing

So I got it to work except for one small issue-  the setup.exe for aim finishes the installation just fine but is waiting on a user to click close before my batch file will continue , can I automate this as well ?

• 3. Re: Help with packaging AIM
              Rookie

I have figured this out thanks for all your help.

I used

start \\servername\Software\AIM_7.5\aim\setup.exe

ping -n 40 127.0.0.1 > nul

And the rest of the script