3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 6:39 AM by Jamie Cannon

Making a Mandatory field non mandatory

Apprentice

I'm trying to change a field to non mandatory :-

Support Group is a field on our Stop Watching Incident Window.  As Support Group is a mandatory field you cannot stop watching the incident and/or get past the screen.

I’ve gone into the properties System/Support Group and the option to change to non-mandatory is greyed out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Making a Mandatory field non mandatory
          Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Can you post a screen shot of where you are looking?  Are you looking on the properties of the actual window?  What version are you on?

My first guess would be that it's set to Mandatory within the object itself.  To check this go to Designers --> Object Designer --> Incident Management --> and Incident.  Open that object and look for the "Support Group" attribute (granted that's what it's called).  Click on it to highlight it and look in the Properties.  The "Is Mandatory" is probably set to True and greyed out there as well.   My apologies is that is where you were referencing in your post.

If it's set to Mandatory at the object level, I believe you will have to change this by using a script against the database itself.  If this is the case, I would suggest contacting support to help get you through changing that mandatory level.  Once it's set to "False" at the object level, you can then dictate whether to keep it mandatory or not from the window level.

Jamie

• 2. Re: Making a Mandatory field non mandatory
            Apprentice

Image.PNGHi Jamie, we are on 7.5. Attached is a screen shot of the actual window to stop watching incident which is when I realised that I needed to change the properties of that specific field.  However I have looked in the Object itself, Designers and Properties with no success.

• 3. Re: Making a Mandatory field non mandatory
              Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

Since this is on the task window, you'll want to look at the Task object within Incident Management.  Designers --> Object Designer --> Incident Management --> and Task (or Task Incident).  Open that object and see if there is a "Support Group" attribute.  If there is, you'll want to highlight that and check to see if it's set to Manadatory.  The reason for this is because the system sees you as creating a task and it's under the assumption that a task needs to be assigned to someone to work on.