6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 7:35 AM by jtrently

Reporting Requirements

Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi all,

We’re busy here at LANDesk looking at our reporting tools and offerings and are looking for input from you. Firstly, we’d like to know what are the top 5 reports that you use to understand how your Service Desk is working against its goals?

Thanks,

Lara

• 1. Re: Reporting Requirements
          Apprentice

I had to develop views in SQL to accomplish the reports that management wanted, because they weren't satisfied with the reports provided by Landesk.

The goal of these views has always been to collect metrics on the amount of elapsed business time between any two arbitrary timestamps, having any "WITH CUSTOMER" time subtracted.  Usually, its how many working hours (or minutes) elapsed between a particular assignment and an appropriate action by an analyst.

The main ones are "business time until Respond+Commit," and "business time until Resolution," because those are covered by SLAs. 

But they also want to see business time between any two arbitrary timestamps that they happen to think are important on a given day.  In order to accomplish that, when you don't know the particular need ahead of time (so you can't add attributes and write calculations and store/update column values for them) you have to write complex SQL to work from the audit trail and the process assignments tables.

You end up with very cool reports, but they are intensive and can't be run during business hours.  It has been a real pain.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reporting Requirements
            JesseCar Apprentice

Hello Lara, the reports we use are, first call resolution, MIS summary report, resolved in under 8 business hours, not resolved in over 8 business hours, summary report by departments, summary report by MIS groups, breached report and the CRB report that shows percent completed by deadline date and were successful. They would like a report that calculates time between statuses and I have been looking at it but not tried anything in crystal reports yet. Hope this helps.

Jesse

• 3. Re: Reporting Requirements
              Apprentice

Hi Lara,

We have also had to develop our own. I have tried to use Crystal as much as possible (until we get our Data Warehouse up and running), however for one report I've been unable to reporoduce it in crystal. This is a report that shows us for each team a percentage of resolved within SLA each month and the numbers of <total logged>\<total resolved> each month. These are our two main reports for our "report card" to the board.

I have also set up crystal reports to show;

The time taken on an incident (we added a field where the engineers type in how long they actually spent doing something) per engineer, per team, allowing team managers to monitor allocation of time dedicated to incidents.

Customer Satisfaction data from our surveys (done via self service) which show a graph for responses to each question using traffic light colouring to highlight good/bad responses.

Top five systems; a graph showing the number of incidents logged that month for the top 5 system categories, to help identify trends etc.

Hope that helps. Am happy to send examples if you think they'd be useful.

Jenna

• 4. Re: Reporting Requirements
                Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi,

Thanks for all the information you've given me so far, does anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks,

Lara

• 5. Re: Reporting Requirements
                  Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Lara,

[stands on soapbox]

Of all the customer Implementations I do;  some use Crystal and some use Microsoft Reporting Services.

I would like to see the product a lot more open when it comes to the reporting engine that can be used.  I want to say to our customers that they should use the reporting tool they have skills in and are familiar with ongoing.  Also RS being free is far more cost effective for some organisations (gov, health, education ect) where every penny counts.

Yep I can understand that if customers use Oracle then MS Reporting Services is going to be a "dirty word" amongst the DBA's there but to be honest what proportion of the user base is SQL versus Oracle anyway;  I think we all know whicj camp the bulk are sitting.

I have to tell my customers who use/prefer reporting services that they can do any reports in RS apart from the "screen print" type reports and those in lesser used areas such as Email outbound.

So yes a nice set of OOTB reports would be nice, but also perhaps let the base product be more supportive with other mainstream reporting engines too.

Julian

• 6. Re: Reporting Requirements
                    jtrently Apprentice

Lara,

I tend to create a query in SQL and import it into the reports of LANDesk.  The default reports have become unuseful for my needs.  I report monthly on the status of vulnerabilies.  I provide a current total vulnerabilities by group, and one for just critical by group.  Additionally, I provide a monthly remediated vulnerability, by group and a monthly critical by group.  The groups are my personal groups for servers. Reporting on vulnerabilities has gotten more difficult given the multitude of sources in the database (Add/Remove programs, O/S Updates, Detected...) 

I feel the reporting tool is going in the direction of the scripting tool, it will be used as a stepping stone from other applications into LANDesk.

I am also interested in taking a reporting class when one becomes available.

John