5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 6:09 PM by mwood2

Sysprep error

Hi,  I'm receiving the following error after having deployed and image and SYSPREP is running:

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup]

I am deploying Windows 7 SP1 and I am capturing the image after running sysprep in audit mode with the generalize option unticked. From what I have read this is the correct way to do it when using Windows 7 SP1.

I am allowing LDMS to create the unnatend.xml file for me and not using my own.

It's LDMS SP3.

• 1. Re: Sysprep error
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Can you post your XML file? If generated by LANDesk you can find it in the managementsuite\landesk\files map on your core server.

Also, i would recommend you to always tick the generalize box when sysprepping. It avoids compatibility issues when restoring the image om another type of system.

• 2. Re: Sysprep error

Make sure the unattend.xml doesn't have a variable (e.g. %ComputerName% ), this will certainly cause this error. And what Frank said about generalize is helpful.

• 3. Re: Sysprep error
              bnelson Employee

Make sure the variables are all correct.

Make sure the admin password does not have non standard English characters or dashes.

From there post the unattend after removing any sensitive data.

• 4. Re: Sysprep error

Thanks for your responses.

Although I figured this out on my own yesterday, it was what Matt said about the %ComputerName% variable that fixed the issue. Does anyone know why I can't use this variable to set the computer name?

• 5. Re: Sysprep error

Variables are ok as long as the Token replacement occurs during the LanDesk imaging process, I mentioned the %Computername% error due to an issue when that variable is used in a straight up Autounattend install.  There isn't usuall too much entered in at the specialize pass, so it was worth mentioning.  Edit: the token replacement occurs in the <image jobname>.ini, which in turn injects the desired computer name in the unattend.xml file copied to the system during imaging.

my INI file reference for the %Computername% token:

REMEXEC40=ldrun tokreplw C:\unattend.xml COMPUTERNAME=%Computer - Device Name%